Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Members Only Fluid Forum View   08/08/2017

Fluid forum view allows members only to get right to the meat of this community; the topics. You can toggle between your preferred forum view just below to the left on the main forum entrance. You will see three icons. Try them out and see what you prefer.   Fluid view allows you, if you are a signed up member, to see the newest topic posts in either all forums (select none or all) or in just your favorite forums (select the ones you want to see when you come to Fishing Minnesota). It keeps and in real time with respect to Topic posts and lets YOU SELECT YOUR FAVORITE FORUMS. It can make things fun and easy. This is especially true for less experienced visitors raised on social media. If you, as a members want more specific topics, you can even select a single forum to view. Let us take a look at fluid view in action. We will then break it down and explain how it works in more detail.   The video shows the topic list and the forum filter box. As you can see, it is easy to change the topic list by changing the selected forums. This view replaces the traditional list of categories and forums.   Of course, members only can change the view to better suit your way of browsing.   You will notice a “grid” option. We have moved the grid forum theme setting into the main forum settings. This makes it an option for members only to choose. This screenshot also shows the removal of the forum breadcrumb in fluid view mode. Fluid view remembers your last forum selection so you don’t lose your place when you go back to the listing. The benefit of this feature is easy to see. It removes a potential barrier of entry for members only. It puts the spotlight on topics themselves, and not the hierarchical forum structure. You as a member will enjoy viewing many forums at once and switching between them without leaving the page. We hope that fluid view, the new functionality is an asset that you enjoy .

53orbigger

Looking for some insight from those of you who get to spend more time on the lake in the fall than I do. In an average year about what time can I expect the turnover and does it have any pronounced effect on the fishing? As always any and all information is appreciated.

Thanks

53orbigger

Cliff Wagenbach

Turnover does not occur until the water gets down into the low 50's. The present water temps are still around 67 degrees.

The turnover usually does not happen until at least mid to late Sept.

Cliff

BEEGONE

Alright whats this turnover business? I have never heard of it before.

taw

Turnover is a term for the natural process a lake goes through when cooler surface temperatures (making the water more dense then layers beneigth the surface)flip with warmer layers at the lake bottom. The lake is typically oxygenated throughout the stratum and typically manifests itself with lots of leaf debris, algae, and clutter which shows up on sonar. Cliff is correct that this happens at about 57-59 degrees. Usually the bite stops for a week or so until the lake comes back to equilibrium, then the fish can be found just about anywhere in the lake, shallow, sometimes very deep or on flats. Find the food and the fish will be close behind. cool.gif

53orbigger

Thanks guys I appreciate the information.

53orbigger

BEEGONE

Ah copy that.

LaZyDayZ

What are present water temps?

53orbigger

I would also appreciate any updates on the water temperatures as well.

Thanks

53orbigger

shamrock7

had 59 this morning out in front of Greenwood Bay

53orbigger

Thanks! I am trying to plan a fall trip to winterize the cabin and would like to get a bit of fishing in as well.

53orbigger

Cliff Wagenbach

55.5 degrees in Pike Bay this morning!

58 degrees in Big Bay this morning!

The water warmed up into the low 60's by this afternoon in Big Bay.

Cliff

blue_healer_guy

Cliff, you'd probably be the one to answer this question with all your experience on the lake. Will turnover effect shallow fish (10-15) ft. Was at v last weekend and did well in that water column. Coming up in a week, just wondering how it affects shallow fish. Thanks, Joe

blue_healer_guy

Also, whats the best approach for walleyes during turnover.

53orbigger

Thanks for the updates.

53orbigger

Cliff Wagenbach

When the lake first turns over the fish at all depths are affected. The reason being that the entire water collumn is now the same temp. and has the same oxygen levels. This allows the baitfish and thus the fish to go where ever they want in comfort.

That usually only lasts around a week or less then the baitfish and walleyes move into the deeper holes which are warmer and have more oxygen.

I prefer a jig/minnow approach once the walleyes move into the deep holes. If it is to windy to use a jig I go to a short Lindy Rig and minnow with as much weight needed to stay on the bottom, (up to 1-1/2 oz. at times.)

Cliff

IslandHopper

Coming up today, and wondering if I need to worry about turnover yet?

DougSpringBay

No

CJ

With the big V being so big does it all turn over at once or does one end go before the other. What about Trout with that being deeper and clearer does it turn over before the big V or after.

CJ

Cliff Wagenbach

Many areas on Vermilion never have a turnover because those areas do not ever get a thermocline.

Most of the deep holes will usually all turn-over at about the same time.

Cliff

PeteA34

It will not affect the fishing, it never does....and if you believe it does, then try a different depth. I have caught fish consistently thru turnover.

53orbigger

Does anyone care to share an updated water temperature?

Thanks

53orbigger

Cliff Wagenbach

57 to 58 degrees in Big Bay yesterday.

Cliff

53orbigger

Thanks Cliff! I appreciate it.

53orbigger

Aces In The Hole

Any word on the turnover yet? We'll be up there in 2 weeks and we are worried we are going to be there during the turnover. Any help would be great.

Cliff Wagenbach

I do not believe that the lake has turned over yet. 58 degrees on the surface yet this morning.

I did get a few walleyes at 40 feet this morning.

The turnover should be done by the time you arrive.

Cliff