Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
fishingchef

Two Harbors and north shore vs. Bayfield and Islands - Lake trout

3 posts in this topic

Hey Guys I've done all of my limited lake trout fishing around Bayfield and the Apostle Islands area, I lived out on madeline Island seasonally for four years so I am familiar with that fishery, but now am living in Mpls.

Seems to be some decent Lake trout reports coming from the north shore so I was thinking about heading up that way instead of bayfield. Just thought I'd chime in to see if the fishing is better up that way or if IT is simply a "grass is always greener" scenario.

Keep in mind I run a 16 ft. 50 h.p. tiller, so it is always dependant on wind and weather, and when I am fishing in the Islands I can't run all the way out to outer. If the weather is right I can cover some water and track down some fish in the Islands, but not looking to make too long of runs when fishing a new area. From what I gather there is nearer to shore potential in the two harbors area.

JUst like to know if the north shore presents any better potential than the Bayfield/Islands area, and if it is worth the effort of fishing and trying to figure out a new area. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am really interested in hearing what some others thought and opinions are on the two fisheries.

Thanks for any help.

Dont know if better.But silver bay on up can produce alot lakers some kings and coho. Matter of right place and right time. Last weekend less than a 1/2 mile off the school. shocked.gif

I have only fished the apostles a few times so do not know it well but my sense is it is comparable...meaning I have had similar success in both locations. I know it can be good around the flats and some of the islands at the apostles but the same is true on the north shore. You just have to find the fish.