Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
96trigger

Dead Deer

5 posts in this topic

Hi, what are the regulations on cutting of the head of a buck that has been hit by a car. I had one get hit a half mile from my house, probably a 17 inch 8 pointer, nice little buck. I saw it on my way to work. On my way home, I noticed the head was gone. Honestly, I thought about doing the same thing, they would have made great rattling antlers, but I didn't know the rules and to be honest, I really didn't feel right thinking about it. Any ops or info on the legality of cutting off the head of a traffic deer?

Get a possession tag and it's no worries. I don't know about your area but where I live the deputies carry empties and can fill them out for you right there.

Call a sheriff or the local CO. You need to get the possession permit for it. I know a guy who got a hen turkey the same way and now has one very awesome turkey decoy.

You do need a possesion tag and up here if you just take the head you could get into trouble. the tag is for the entire deer.

Quote:

You do need a possesion tag and up here if you just take the head you could get into trouble. the tag is for the entire deer.

Very very true. If you do not take the entire deer its considered wanton waste. Obviously if the meat is spoiled you can dispose of it, but you can't just leave the body on the side of the road.

I would report the deer without the head to the CO. You never know if its was some sort of poaching case.