Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BassProAddict

Best Fishfinder for under $170

19 posts in this topic

For all of y'all fishfinder afficionados.What would be the best fishfinder for under $170? Was comparin' the Garmin, Humminbird and the Lowrance of this price category and seems to me Garmin takes the prize...or does it?

What would be your choice?

Eagle Fishmark 320 is a good sounder and in your price range. Customer service is good inside the warranty period. Outside the warranty period, your better of buying a new sounder. I'd stay away from any Dual Frequency Lowrance or Eagle unit though.

What about the Garmin? Anybody got the goods on this?

I'm with ST on this one. I have said Eagle unit for years with zero issues. Doesn't have all the bells and whistles of higher priced units-but no complaints for this guy.

I just picked up the Eagle 320 for $149 at Cabela's. This one has the temperature sensor. They are selling the upgraded speedometer transducer for $20. I believe you need to buy the 320 to get the $20 transducer.

Thats a good unit for the $$.

Another vote for the Eagle 320. It does everything I need it to do. Pair it up with an handheld GPS unit (like an H20 or H20C) and you should be able to find just about anything.

CA

I have a Garmin 160, which is looking a little tired because of it's lower pixel count. It still has plenty of power and puts me on the fish. A higher pixel count (like Garmin 250) would probably do a better job of showing the 'eye's on the bottom. I have had 0 problems with the 160 for 3-4 years and will likely stay within the brand.

Checking into the Garmin 250, it has the same pixel count as the Eagle with higher power. Similar price and you probably won't go wrong with either.

Ooops, nevermind. Looks like the Garmin 250 is discontinued. Their better resolution finders are all color now and more $$$. For color, I really like the Lowrance better and might have to go there in a couple of years.

I was looking into the black&white setup.It just seems to me now that the Lowrance X96 is one of the best at its price.Somebody had mentioned to stay away from the dual frequency Lowrances...this isn't one of them is it?

I had a X98DF which is a dual freq sonar and burned out two transducers due to fishing shallow water. I bought a 200 khz transducer which made it the same as an X97 and have had no trouble since.

Is the Lowrance X96 a dual or single frequency sonar?

Lowrance X96 has a 200 khz transducer. It'll have the DF after the model if its Dual Frequency. Not many instances where a guy needs the DF. In my case I wanted it to pick up down rigger balls. The target separation, definition, and detail of the 50 khz is crude so your not going to want that over the 200khz for normal operation.

As cold one sd said, if your DF transducer goes out you can replace it with 200 khz transducer. Of coarse you won't have DF any longer.

Is the portable X96 worth the extra $50? I don't own a boat so I'm skipping from boat to boat.I could tap power but then again, there is the portable version.

Worth the extra $$?

You'll get the soft case w/ mount, battery, charger, and suction cup to mount for the transducer. Yes I think its worth it if your going to hop from boat to boat.

Is this a a no brainer matchup here?:

Lowrance X125 vs X96 Portable?

The X125 is a step up from the X96.

480x480 resolution and 2,400 W peak-to-peak power. Thats $100 out of the $170 price range too.

Add the portable to the X96 and your almost there. 320X320

res and 1500 watts isn't make a huge difference over the X125. 6 years ago that would be cutting edge technology.

DECISIONS, DECISIONS.

Thanks ST

I kinda jacked up my ceiling on on the $170...budget gotten up to the price of the X96 portable @ $250ish.

Prolly the last question I'll ask is this:

I don't have a boat so portability of the X96 is huge.On the other hand, the X125's awesome features and reviews have been impressive that it makes me think about it even if it isn't a portable.

What's the verdict here?

You can make it portable with a small 12 volt battery and a small box. Buy a suction cup for the transducer.

Or buy the "ice box" type thing.