Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Members Only Fluid Forum View   08/08/2017

Fluid forum view allows members only to get right to the meat of this community; the topics. You can toggle between your preferred forum view just below to the left on the main forum entrance. You will see three icons. Try them out and see what you prefer.   Fluid view allows you, if you are a signed up member, to see the newest topic posts in either all forums (select none or all) or in just your favorite forums (select the ones you want to see when you come to Fishing Minnesota). It keeps and in real time with respect to Topic posts and lets YOU SELECT YOUR FAVORITE FORUMS. It can make things fun and easy. This is especially true for less experienced visitors raised on social media. If you, as a members want more specific topics, you can even select a single forum to view. Let us take a look at fluid view in action. We will then break it down and explain how it works in more detail.   The video shows the topic list and the forum filter box. As you can see, it is easy to change the topic list by changing the selected forums. This view replaces the traditional list of categories and forums.   Of course, members only can change the view to better suit your way of browsing.   You will notice a “grid” option. We have moved the grid forum theme setting into the main forum settings. This makes it an option for members only to choose. This screenshot also shows the removal of the forum breadcrumb in fluid view mode. Fluid view remembers your last forum selection so you don’t lose your place when you go back to the listing. The benefit of this feature is easy to see. It removes a potential barrier of entry for members only. It puts the spotlight on topics themselves, and not the hierarchical forum structure. You as a member will enjoy viewing many forums at once and switching between them without leaving the page. We hope that fluid view, the new functionality is an asset that you enjoy .
Sign in to follow this  
Scott M

Sighting in field points versus broad heads

Scott M    3
Scott M

Was doing some shooting today and noticed my broadheads tend to drift a lot more than my field points. Beyond that, I also noticed it was always hooking to the left. My question is, should I now sight in the bow with broad heads, or leave it set with field points? Both are 100 grain heads. One thing concerning me was today's slight winds. I hope I can shoot indoors and find out if that was the only problem, but if it isn't the question still remains, should I sight in the bow an additional time with my broadheads?

bottomdweller    0
bottomdweller

I always sight in with my broadheads for hunting. Sometimes they are different sometimes they are the same.

gl

Tippman    0
Tippman

Have you paper tuned your arrows? That may help your problem. Another thing you could do to help your drift is getting shorter profile broadheads. I did this a couple years ago after not liking expandables and found them to fly nearly identicle as field points. If your broadheads are flying consistantly in the same spot you could adjust your sights for them also for hunting.

Deitz Dittrich    4
Deitz Dittrich

we still have 2 week yet... if you plan on shooting quite a bit between now and season.. I would say keep going with field tips... then sight in a couple of days before season with the broad heads... Good luck getting the deer this year.

koonie    0
koonie

Changing the sight to your broadhead is just treating the symptom not the problem. Go to a pro shop and have them help you get your bow in tune(specs and paper). If your broadheads aren't flying right and your arrows aren't flying straight you will be losing accuracy with the broadheads and a lot of lost kinetic energy overall. It can be kind of a pain but it's worth it in the end.

Powerstroke    20
Powerstroke

I totally agree with koonie. The shortcut is to just sight in different. That may work, but it doens't solve some sort of tuning issue or other problem. It could be contact with the rest, poor form or some other inconsistancy.

Much like shooting at great distances, using broadheads magnifies any imperfections in your shooting. I struggled for the longest time getting things in harmony between my broadheads and my FT's. I didn't have a consistant anchor, I was torqueing the bow and had fletching contact with my rest. I didn't know any of that till I went to the pro shop and had the guy watch me. A little coaching and I was doing much better. A new rest and now I'm doing great. I use fixed blade BH's and have no prob's now.

Paper tuning is great for working rest and nock point issues. A walkback tune you can do by yourself will identify any rest problems. There's still plenty of time to work it out.

DonBo    101
DonBo

Sorry, but broadheads and field tips rarely fly the same no matter how well tuned your bow is. Yes, tuning is very important, but if your broadheads are flying good, just move your sight and move on.

Nightcrawler    0
Nightcrawler

Quote:

Sorry, but broadheads and field tips rarely fly the same no matter how well tuned your bow is. Yes, tuning is very important, but if your broadheads are flying good, just move your sight and move on.

Right, You don't hunt with field tips.

BLACKJACK    3
BLACKJACK

The bow season goes on for 3 1/2 months, its important to practice during the season, once you sight in your bow for broadheads, is that what you're going to use for practice? I don't think so. So how do you practice if your field points and broadheads shoot differently??

I think its important to work thru the issues and get your field points and broadheads shooting the same, so when Mr. Big comes walking down the trail you're not thinking 'my broadheads shoot low and to the left, where should I aim'!!

Phill Aldahl    0
Phill Aldahl

Shoot expandables

DonBo    101
DonBo

Yes,I do practice with my broadheads. Sod butts, 3D targets and block targets all stop broadheads with ease.

There is no excuse not to shoot the same heads for practice as you hunt with. Otherwise you are only assuming your hunting arrows are going to hit the same place as your "practice" heads.

Even when I shot expandables I sacrificed one or two for practice just to be sure they flew the same.

Powerstroke    20
Powerstroke

I also practice a lot with broadheads but I still say your FT's should hit with your BH's or very very close. Too close to worry about. If you're hitting differently then you have some other underlying problem. If one type of broadhead does create problems then you should try a different head. If every broadhead you try creates the same misses then you have a tuning or form issue that you need to resolve. Your shooting will improve and be more consistant because of it.

koonie    0
koonie

Powerstroke hit the nail on the head.

Or the broadhead on the field point!

Bassboy1645    0
Bassboy1645

Last weekend I shot four hrs. I found my best three arrows out of six that fly the straightest with brodheads. Belive it or not every one of my arrows drifted different one arrow spun bad, a couple weaved and dipped into different spots and one even "floated" higher up with a broadhead. But three arrows are perfect tight spinning arcs no matter what the distance. I marked these three arrows and set them aside for proper deer sailing grin.gif. I also shoot fixed blades. Of the three that flew good though, thyre close enough to my FTS to make no difference as far as sighting in goes. Hope this helps.

Scott M    3
Scott M

Things have tightened up for me this week. It's time to go forward with things. I won't be able to hunt opening weekend, so technically I have another week to keep shooting anyways. Sounds like there is a range of opinions, but the most important thing is I have confidence with my bow.

Thanks for the help all and any more opinions or thoughts are encouraged.

harvey lee    13
harvey lee

I believe the biggest thing to checkout would be to paper tune your bow to see how your arrows are hitting.

I may be one of the lucky few but my arrows fly almost the same with field tips or my broadheads.