Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jeremy airjer W

video editing software?

10 posts in this topic

I am looking to buy software to edit video. I'm not looking for high end stuff just enough to transfer home movies to DVD and possibly creating some short how to videos. Most importantly I want to be able to see whats going on in the timeline for video and music.

So far I have narrowed it down to either pinnacle studio ultimate 11 or Ulead video studio 11 plus.

Any thoughts on these two would be great or if you have some in site on another I would appreciate those comments as well.

*sigh* Why don't people just by Mac's?

Seriously, there are lots of really good video editing software out there.

I'd go with whatever version a close friend of yours has so you can compare notes.....

As long as your PC is fairly Optimized with a enough Extra Hard drive space for video which can take up a lot of space and a decent Proccessor for encoding, along with Firewire or USB 2 you should have no problems running either program.

Not sure which format your Camcorder has but if you don't need HD you could get by with the lower-priced VideoStudio 11 "non-Plus" for around $40.

Good Luck sounds like your on the right track!

Have you tried Windows Movie Maker? Works pretty darn good IMO. Not only that, but if you go to You Tube, there are tons of video tutorials by everyday users to help you out. Just do a Movie Maker search.

I think all the software choices listed you can download a trial version and take it for a test drive. Play around and see what you like.

I'd also take a look at the forums for that software to see what the users have to say.

I'm a fan of Sony's software, like Vegas Movie Studio.

Quote:

I am looking to buy software to edit video. I'm not looking for high end stuff just enough to transfer home movies to DVD and possibly creating some short how to videos. Most importantly I want to be able to see whats going on in the timeline for video and music.

So far I have narrowed it down to either pinnacle studio ultimate 11 or Ulead video studio 11 plus.

Any thoughts on these two would be great or if you have some in site on another I would appreciate those comments as well.

Here's my take on it.

Pinnacle 11 for me has the same problems 8,9, and 10 all had - dropping of video frames. Most of the time, it's only 5-10 frames, but for some unexplained reason, other times it's dropped 50-100/minute.

Ulead is ok, but I have found it's editing style to be really hard to use, but it always captures perfectly.

If you really want something powerful, and something that I have never had any issues with - try Adobe Premier. it's always worked really good for me. It does have a very high, uhm...what's the word.....learning curve, or whatever it is. But, it works really well.

I'd consider Adobe - that's what I use. Little more spendy, but it's well worth the effort and $$$.

Hope this helps,

-wx_nut

You may want to look at the full version of Quicktime.

I have a new loaded dell XPS in Dimensions clothing. The only difference between the two was the power supply. I loaded the dimension with the upgraded goodies and saved a bundle over the equivalent XPS! I think I'm o.k. on the PC end.

I have looked at the premier by adobe. I have Illustrator and find it more difficult to use than CorelDraw but I also have been using Corel since version 3 back in the mid 90's! So I'm a little reluctant about the adobe stuff!

I use the latest version of Nero and works pretty good. It doesn't get real involved, but it does the job pretty well.

I second using Nero it is really easy. I downloaded the free trial first then bought it. I bought Pinnacle 10 but it wasn't compatable with windows vista on my new computer. I did try windows movie maker first but the quality was shotty at best it was kinda jumpy. But it depends on the comp. I Know. I have a dell inspiron and like nero.