Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sdmaclean

Northern Light Lake

7 posts in this topic

I'm going to be up near Grand Marais at the end of September. The friend I'm going with is really interested in cathching some good sized northerns. I've done a little research and it looks like Northern Light Lake off of the Gunflint Trail might be a good option. Anybody have some information on this lake? Thanks.

Lot's of hammer handles, with the possibility of catching some fish in the 5 to 10 pound range. Water levels will be a factor though...I was up there last september and it was a grassy marsh, this june however the lake (access is actually on the brule river) was quite high. Johnson weedless silver spoons tipped with a white or orange twister tail is one of my favorite lures to use here. Buzzbaits and jointed rapalas work very well also. Lot's of good moose viewing oppurtunities here too.

Thanks for the information. I was a little worried about the water levels too considering the drought. Any suggestions for a different northern lake if Northern Light is too low?

Check out Loon Lake up the Gunflint. There are some big ones in there. Make sure you check the special regulations.

Also up that way, the chain of smaller lakes beyond Gunflint Lake, including North Lake has produced some nice fish for us as well.

Thanks for the tip on Loon Lake. It looks pretty good. Can I assume I should concentrate on the east end of the lake? Looks like it's more shallow there, with some vegetation.

That is correct. It should be a great trip that time of year!

The lower arm that on the east end that extends back west holds most of the northerns in the lake, especially at the west end. Lot's of pike between 5 and 12 pounds...this time of year maybe you'll even get a bonus laker.