Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ghoterman

Question about boats, gps and sonar on Rainy Lake

3 posts in this topic

Y'all gave great responses to my first post about fishing Rainy Lake, but as promised I have more questions.Boats: I have a 17.5 foot Tracker Pro-Crappie with a 50 hp Mercury bought at Bass Pro Shop (it can be veiwed online). Is the hull design OK for Rainy? It sure ain't a Lund, but I think it's a deeper V design than a traditional bass boat.Secondly:I have a cheap sonar that I plan to upgrade this winter.Here's my delima: I currently have a Lowrance Hand-held GPS unit that will accept Navionics Chips.Should I use that hand-held unit and upgrade to the Lowrance X-135 or forget about the Hand-held & throw in another $100 and upgrade to the Lowrance LMS-480.Walleyegod put the bug in my ear about electronics and I would appreciate input from WG or any of y'all Rainy Lake Regulars.Or do you have a better reccomendation for GPS/Sonar units or Sonar only units ( just to let you know, I am a Lowrance kind of guy)

Hey Ghoterman,

I have a Lowrance X-15 with the Rainy chip, and it suits me well. I also have hand helds in which I use during the hard water periods. Having everything in one unit on the dash of the boat is pretty convienant. I might suggest that for most the electronics they have are likely sufficient, but you have to be able to read what they are telling you. Also learn to trust what they are telling you, and most off don't get stuck fishing memories. Just my 2 cents! I can remember fising with the old Green box's during the winter before Vex and marcum came into the picture. I read that thing like a book. Now they just make it easier on the eyes! Good Fishing!

RD

If you ice fish it is a tough question. If you do not, the answer is easy... sell the handheld for 200, buy the upgrade and you are a 100 ahead. If you do ice fish, I myself (frugile) wouldn't spend the extra money.