• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Gulp panfish bait fails fair tests

Questor

I've been using Gulp panfish baits, the chartreuse maggots, for a few weeks. In fair tests comparing it against night crawlers, it fails miserably. My son and I have been panfishing with slip bobber rigs. I never caught one single fish on the Gulp baits. We were doing well in the same area at the same time with the same rigs when using nightcrawlers for bait. When I started fishing with the Gulp bait I would stop catching fish. When I resumed fishing with nightcrawler parts I would start catching fish again.

The rig was a plain hook with a split shot and slip bobber.

I was hoping the Gulp baits would be an emergency backup bait if I ran out of live bait, but it just doesn't seem to be worthwhile for that purpose, or any other as far as I can tell.

I'd give it more of a chance than that. I've used the same chartruse maggots and had good fishing for bluegills. It could have been as simple as the gills weren't interested in the color. I've been in a boat walleye fishing where minnows were the hot bait and you couldn't buy a bite on leeches. That doesn't mean leeches aren't a good walleye bait. They just weren't that particular day.

You've already bought the gulp, you might as well keep it for backup and maybe try it again another time.

Black Bay:

Are you saying that three weekends of fishing for bluegills is not a sufficient amount of time to catch a single bluegill on Gulp baits? The fish were biting on crawler parts every time we went. The Gulp baits got hours of time in the water in prime locations. That seems like a good reason to reject them from further use.

I've use the Gulp baits in saltwater and they do seem to work well when used in conjunction with a jig.

This recent test with bluegills was a test of the bait itself, and to test the claim that it outfishes live bait. It simply doesn't. At least not in one of the premier panfish lakes in the midwest as applied by an objective fisherman with lots of experience on that water.

I've also used those gulp maggots at every chance I've got, the tubes and curly tails grups out performs the maggots...ice fishing or open water...a plain old gold aberdeen hook about provides the same rate as the maggots...still I keep it around just in case, but it's tuff and pretty good for keeping other baits on the hook. grin.gif

I have used Gulp maggots a lot also, and have caught some fish on them, but I've never had them outfish live bait. They do help to keep the live bait on the hook however, so What I do is put the crawler or leech piece on the hook, then put on a gulp maggot. The fish still bite, and the live bait stays on better with the gulp to hold it.

I've used them while fishing with my boy and they are great! We out fished others using live bait off the same fishing pier. The other guy had to keep putting worms on the hooks non stop for his kids after numerous misses. Normally with Gulp! maggots you can catch a bunch without rebaiting. I put Gulp! maggots(natural color) on Flu-Flu type jigs under a float. Cast out, let it sit for a little, then give it a few twitches. The panfish will react. This has worked for us for sunfish, crappies, and an occasional largemouth. The action should be almost non-stop.

Flaco651:

I think your method must be the right one for using this type of bait. I've used Gulp baits successfully in saltwater with jigs as a replacement for live shrimp. For that purpose it works well because I can get the bait down to where it needs to fish, and the bait stealers can't take it, as they would a live shrimp.

My opinion of these baits today is that they are another of the "enhancer" type products that work best with artificials. The fish hold on longer and are more likely to be hooked.

I'll also try the earthworm Gulp baits as a replacemnt for earthworms while fishing for trout. It's worth a try. Trout aren't bluegills, and may react better to them.

I'm done with the Gulp maggot baits for bluegills though. They don't catch fish for me, and they don't stay on a 1/32 ounce jig without tearing off easily.

Questor -

Smething to keep in mind, like Black Bay said before, is the color. It's quite possilbe that the 'Gills weren't reacting to that particular color when you've been trying them. I'd say that it's one of those situations where maybe it's right spot, right time, wrong presentation. I've had great success with the Gulp maggots on 'Gills & Crappies through the ice, but not so much in open water situations. I haven't given up on the baits because of it, I just try to find conditions where it works best. In the case of the Gulp Maggots, as far as my experience has been, it's been ice fishing. That won't stop me from experimenting with it in open water, in any case. Maybe natural or another color will be the better choice with the warmer water temps. You've got the bait, why not give it a few more tries in different conditions or presentations before you give up on it.

I like the idea of the flu-flu tipped with them, though. Haven't done that open water yet. I'd say it's definitely worth a shot!

FWIW, we use the Gulp maggots religously for catching sunfish (several kinds) off the dock. Pink, Chart. and some sparkly pearl wink.gif The kids use them and are catching fish constantly. On a jig, on a plain hook, whatever. Do they catch better than worms? I am not sure, and I doubt it, but each one will catch many fish, where the worm has to be re-baited almost each time.

For crappies, we do catch more on Gulp minnows (white or shad color in our clear lake) and small grubs than real minnows, but the maggots are exclusively for the smaller kids and ease of fishing for a Grandpa who is baiting 4 lines at a time wink.gif

I think they have their place, but marketing lines like "outfishes live bait" are simply marketing lines, IMHO.

I agree with Flaco. Put them on a flu-flu/lil-nipper style jig and either rig under a bobber or just cast and jig them. I have caught many fish on them and swear by the gulp products. The leeches work great as do the crawlers and small grubs and well just about everything they have on the market. The only ones I don't like are the turtle worms.

It's really great to be able to compare notes with other fishermen on this topic. I'll give a flu-flu a try. I usually use standard 1/32 oz round head jigs, which probably have larger hooks than the flu flu.

Hopefully I'll learn enough from this thread to give it another try and find a good new tool for fishing.

Quote:

I agree with Flaco. Put them on a flu-flu/lil-nipper style jig and either rig under a bobber or just cast and jig them. I have caught many fish on them and swear by the gulp products. The leeches work great as do the crawlers and small grubs and well just about everything they have on the market. The only ones I don't like are the turtle worms.

I always use flu/flu style jigs and never tip them .

I most always slaughter the fish.

Caught 100 on BSL over the weekend.

HPIM2568.jpg

CrappieKeith:

You're reading my mind. I do well with the 1/32 ounce jigs with Mr. Twisters and no live bait.

I'll have to give those flu-flu's a try, though. How do you rig them?

All of my panfish are caught on plastics for the winter season and 90% for the summer. I hardly ever use any type of live bait for panfish. Small plastics are my go to bait.

Usually a 1/8 oz or smaller jig head with small, hand tied feather coming out of the back.

Just noticed, 700

I really think a lot has to do with presentation. If presented with something to give it some action then it will work, but it will never compare to live bait under a bobber.

For the heck of it today, I took a jar to a bullhead spot, tossed a pinky on an ice jig........nothing. Toss it out and give it some action......sunnie. Turn over a couple of rocks on shore and grab a worm, throw it on, toss it out.....bam , bullhead. Toss out another gulp....nothing.

I'll stick with the worms.

When you are fishing Gulp! vs live bait depending on the condition & type of body of water it is almost likely that live bait will outfish every other artifical bait you use. So typically it's like you saying every other artificial bait is a failure over using crawlers.

But when the condition are right and the fish are actively feeding Gulp! Will outfish live bait due to presentation. It's the presentation that causes the fish to strike. This is where artifical baits shine.

Due also to the fact that Gulp! is ages less messy than using crawlers. BTW, I have never had problem catching panfish on any type of live bait, plastic, Gulp! if them pannies are active. In fact 99% of the time for pannies I only use small plastics, twister tails, flu flu type jigs.

So help me understand the general theory of using Gulp: Is it basically something you tip a jig with? I expected to be able to fish it on a bare hook.

If I want to fish jigs, I don't need Gulp. The jigs alone will do fine.

that's the advantage of artificials, presentation...

when conditions that are bad for one thing, having something else to fall back on could mean a fish or nothing.

I was out on Waybay this spring and you had to fish with 1 pole because you couldn't keep 2 going the walleye fishing was so fast. We were using a jig and minnow. I had bought some gulp minnows that looked like the real thing. Except when you put one on you instantly went from catching fish to catching nothing. "Out fishes live bait" I should design a lure and put that little phrase on it so I can become a millionair. I have used gulp before with live bait and it has done better then live bait alone. But never the other way. For walleyes anyway.

Quote:

I was out on Waybay this spring and you had to fish with 1 pole because you couldn't keep 2 going the walleye fishing was so fast. We were using a jig and minnow. I had bought some gulp minnows that looked like the real thing. Except when you put one on you instantly went from catching fish to catching nothing. "Out fishes live bait" I should design a lure and put that little phrase on it so I can become a millionair. I have used gulp before with live bait and it has done better then live bait alone. But never the other way. For walleyes anyway.

This is where Gulp! is mis-interpreted. It will never replace live bait but it is possible Gulp! can outfish live bait. But that depends on the situation and presentation. Mainly what the fish are feeding on and how active they are. Each body of water or flowing river is different which affects a fish behavior and how it feeds.

To substitute Gulp! as a means to replaced live bait is to fish the bait the wrong way. One must understand when is the best time to use such a bait to help yourself catch more fish.

Quote:

Quote:

This is where Gulp! is mis-interpreted. It will never replace live bait but it is possible Gulp! can outfish live bait. But that depends on the situation and presentation. Mainly what the fish are feeding on and how active they are. Each body of water or flowing river is different which affects a fish behavior and how it feeds.

To substitute Gulp! as a means to replaced live bait is to fish the bait the wrong way. One must understand when is the best time to use such a bait to help yourself catch more fish.

Sorry i guess I wasn't aware the package said "out fishes live bait in certain situations". I have no problem with the gulp product. It's a good product. But I suppose I could reinvent the Ford Pinto and put as my marketting slogan...."Out Drives all Cars in NASCAR" Which is true in certain situations. Like after they have been in a big wreck and can't possibly move anymore. Even that might be a stretch grin.gif

Quote:

Sorry i guess I wasn't aware the package said "out fishes live bait in certain situations". I have no problem with the gulp product. It's a good product. But I suppose I could reinvent the Ford Pinto and put as my marketting slogan...."Out Drives all Cars in NASCAR" Which is true in certain situations. Like after they have been in a big wreck and can't possibly move anymore. Even that might be a stretch
grin.gif

I understand where your coming from and I say the same thing myself as I have been in many situation where the fish will not touch Gulp! over live bait.

But it's not just all about the bait. It's how it is used and fished by the Angler. Learning to use such baits to your advantage makes you the better fisherman. Like a car it needs a good & smart driver to make decisions. The concept is the same for fishing. Gulp! may not outfish live bait in certain situations but it surely will help you catch more fish in the long run. grin.gif

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

I don't know? Last summer when fishing sunfish I was using Little atom nuggies as well as an optic stealth jig tipped with a single gulp white maggot. He used was worms and I kicked his butt using either bait.

It's to the point that I rarely use live bait for panfish anymore.