Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
wdgold

4X4 ATV?

7 posts in this topic

I have a 2-cycle polaris atv and the engine will not idle, but otherwise the engine works fine while driving when your giving it gas. Have any ideas?

Try cleaning your carb.

Sounds like your air screw; should be clean, straight, and only out about 2 turns (give or take depending on your atv). As was said; clean out your carb.

I don't know if it is what you are talking about, but my father has an old polaris 350, and the throtle is tempermental some times, it will not idle, we figured out that there is a switch in the throtle when you push the throtle a little we can hear the switch click, sometimes it will not idle, just kill, and push the throtle a little and it will run, but it does not always do it, sometimes it runs fine.

PS. ours is fun because the battery/starter are bad and we have to pull start it. try pushing in the throtle and pullstarting it. Reverse is even better, throttle, reverse override and then pull. tricky, but can be done alone.

sorry it may not be related at all.

That switch is the ETC. It prevents a stuck throttle. If your cables stretch after years of use this will need to be adjsuted and can cause throttle problems.

Quote:

If your cables stretch after years of use this will need to be adjsuted and can cause throttle problems.

My thoughts exactally. My 07 did the same thing, and a quick check of the throttle free play (there should be none) told me I needed to adjust the cable. That is where I'd start if I was you. Quick, easy, and best of all, free.

Here is an update on my idle problem on my ATV . I looked at the carb and cleaned it but I didn't pull it out and take the bowl off just disconnected it and cleaned it. Put new gas in it and it seemed to run better when it was really warm. When I started it the next morning I had to keep choking it off and on to keep it idling or it would quit, even after a few minutes of running. I was told by a service tech to address the carb 1st but when I looked at a troublshooting manual it said the carb would be the least likely out of all the possibilities. Any more ideas?