Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jparrucci

Goose hunting Vermlion Area?

7 posts in this topic

I'll be up at the cabin for the Labor Day weekend, is there any area lakes/rivers/fields that hold geese? I have seen a few occasionally during the regular duck season, but not any larger numbers and they usually appear to be migrants. Does anyone know of a lake or place in the area that could give me a decent shot at getting a honker? I also plan on doing lots of walleye fishing, hopefully it has picked up a little bit since the last trip a few weeks ago. This summer has been really slow after and outstanding spring for me. The perch have been insane in many spots, too the point where it has made it hard to catch walleye because you are busy trying to keep the perch off the line. Have the walleyes started to hit on minnows consistantly again? I'd like to switch from worms and leeches. Thanks!

There are very few geese up here right now. Hunting them during the early season is not worth the time around the Vermilion area. I have tried the early seasons in the past and your lucky to even hear a goose. It is better when they start heading south.

I would spend your time chasing the walleye's.

I've had too many sitting and making a mess on my dock on Pelican. Please come over and shoot them all.

Jim

Need a cabin sitter while you're away?

SledNeck,

Sorry to disappoint you but my cabin is rather small and made of nylon.

I would like to learn your secrets and tips for Pelican. Based on your postings, you have done quite well.

How do you weight your wacky rigged Senkos when bass fishing?

Jim

I weight them with nothing. Thats the beauty of the wacky rig. Maybe next spring there will be a seat for you in the boat of many basses.

I dont think there are any secrets to fishing, just trial and error.

Goose hunting on Vermilion is a waste of time unless you don't care if you see anything. If you head a little West, you will see more birds. Just a little West of Cook will put you into some harvested grain fields that draw a few of the local goose population.