• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

whats everyone wear

ortonville

whats everyone wear for bow hunting? scent lok or not?or just scent lok bases layer? how about when the weather turns cold? i am getting back into bow hunting after not hunting since high school.all i have hunted the last 20 years or so has been waterfowl and need some direction on what to buy for clothes.what i have now just wont cut it for bow hunting.all waterprofe and just to noisey

I have not gone to the level of scent-loc technology as of yet. I will say this, though...as the weather gets colder, more layers are better than big bulky stuff. I have been using the polartec stuff now for a couple of years, and I really like it. I am using level 2 and level 4 with underarmor as a base layer. Not sure if I like the underarmore or not...wicks nicely, but I am not sure I am gaining any heat retention from it.

As for camo, I use predator fall gray. Big splotches, dark lines, etc which really breaks up the outline. Had a guy one time last fall come right under my stand...never knew I was there.

Good stuff...

Steve

I have been using the Scent-Lok Savanna suit for about 4 years. It is a good suit and it is plenty big to layer underneath. What I like about it is the suit is very thin. Great in the warm weather of September and early October.

I personally just wash my clothes in Scent Shield detergent and then shower using Scent Shield shampoo and soap and use the deoderant too. Then I pack all my clothes, except for a T-shirt and pants that I wear out there, in a scent shield bag until I get to the field. Play the wind right and you shouldn't have a problem with scent and you don't have to drop hundreds of dollars on clothes that you could instead invest into your stands or bow. I just use a standard hard woods camo, get high enough off the ground and they can't see you anwyay. Also if it's not too cold yet, wear rubber boots, they won't track any scent along.

For hot weather I'm going with a BugTamer outfit.

Just picked up the FallGrey Preaditor jacket and pants.

Underarmor, fleece and windbreaker clothing for the cold stuff.

Won't buy any ScentLoc stuff. Water (sweat, high humidity) render it ineffective 1st time out and a clothes dryer can't get hot enough to "reactivate" it.

Scent suits don't work. My dog flat out proved it to me by pointing a dead bird wrapped in scent suit coat from about 35 yards. The best a guy can hope for is to keep his scent to a minimum and stay downwind. This whole 'forget the wind just hunt' irritates me to no end.

I think they work great. It is however still more important to hunt the wind and take precautions and keeping scent to a minimum. I've been using Scentlok for about 4 or 5 years now and have had numerous cases where I believe I would have been winded by deer but went unnoticed wearing scentlok.

Hubercita when you did your experiment you didn't touch that dead bird with your hands then the outside of your scentlok did you? And even if you took every precaution with a controlled test I still believe that your scent will dramatically be decreased by using scentlok over non-scentlok clothing. You can't put on a scentlok jacket and pants though and not do anything about your face and head where most your scent escapes and wonder why the deer still pick up on you. I think you just have to pay attention to every detail from washing in scent free soaps, to wind, clothing, scentblocker sprays and then the suit.

I use all the scent soaps and so forth. Early season I will use my bug tamer clothes in hot weather. Once the temps start to drop then its the soaps and all scent loc. I have to wear camo so including the scent loc cannot hurt as one has to use camo.

I use everything I can including higher stands and the wind. It cannot hurt to go the extra mile including scent loc.

Four years ago I had a pack of twelve wolves trot right under me in my climber stand. They actually came into the woods along the same route I took to get there. It was awesome. They were in two mini groups that were spread out about 15 yards to each side of me. Some where right under me. I was wearing my scentlok with rubber boots and no cover scent. They didnt have a clue that I was there. Im definately convinced that, had I not been wearing scentlok, I would never have even seen them. I know there are many non believers out there, but I would never go with out it again. Being winded by deer now is a very rare occurance. Even when im upwind. Just my 2 c worth.

Scent Lok is nice however deffinitly not needed if scent elimination practices are followed. Like bagging up clothes and putting them on when out in the field. Showering with scent free soap, scent killer spray etc... The Scent lok suits are nice for extra scent control. I have the savanna suit and am looking at purchasing a little heavier coat this fall. With that said your #1 priority is to eliminate all scent even with scent lok you have to do the little things to be scent free. Also a tip. buy a comfortable pair of rubber boots. Good luck you will sure have fun bowhunting!!!

Gonna try the Base Layers this yr, but other than that Im all about tradition. Fleece and wool. Cotton or suede as long as its ghost quiet when its hot. grin.gif

i havent bought any scent-lok yet. i just use a generous amount of scent killer spray. i would buy some scent-lok but its i bit pricey. i feel i do fine, covering my scent, with scent killer sprays. i have a snow camo cover suit i were over warm layers when it gets really cold out.

Scentlok Guide gear, !00% water proof. LOVE it. Since using it AND following a pretty strict scent regimen, I very rarely get busted and I have had deer walk under my stand into the wind. I haven't gotten the old high snout since.

The people that have it, usually love it. Those that don't, probably do just fine without it. However, if you haven't tried it, don't knock it. As for the dog pointing at a dead bird wrapped in scent lock, I'd probably get busted by deer too if I had a dead bird shoved down my suit. grin.gif

I wear a Scent-Lock suit, use Scent killer spray and where knee high rubber boots.

i wear a combination of scent lok, and scent blocker. Scent lok base layers, and scent block "coverups". I got my stuff reasonably cheap by just watching ebay auctions. -I'm extremly happy with my scent lok stuff, but you still have to be scent cautious while using it. -if you don't shower for days, eat some garlic, and smoke on your way to the stand, scent lok isn't going to do a thing for you. -most people i've ran into that say scent lok clothes don't work either haven't tried any, or are just plain sloppy with the rest of their hunting routine. -it's not as if scent lok stuff could possibly be any worse than "normal" hunting clothes washed in scent killer stuff. -even if it helps out a miniscle amount, i'll use it to take advantage of everything i can.

I've changed my thinking over the past couple of years. I used to wear my scent-loc base layers and suit. I'd spray myself and all my equipment down with scent killer. I'd also take a shower using all the scent killer soaps and what-not. Well not anymore. I've decided to simplify my hunting. I now shoot a long bow that I made myself, along with cedar arrows tipped with hand carved stone heads. And as far as clothing, to me less is better. Here is my new hunting outfit.

thongpc3.th.gif

OOOOOOO!!!! MY EYES! MY EYES! I THINK I WENT BLIND!!! shocked.gif

I fear what ever kind of "buck" comes near you in that out fit. Please tell us you use a blind.

Some people should need a license to use the internet. Would that be considered baiting?