Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RonZych

Stator housing removal

7 posts in this topic

I am trying to pull the housing off so I can get at and test the stator.

I have a harmonic puller and have been cranking it down while also tapping on it with a hammer.The thing won't budge. mad.gif And yes I did take the large nut off the shaft. Is their a trick to pulling these things off? Should I spray some penetrating oil on it? If I turn that thing anymore I know something is going to break frown.gif

I love working on that old piece of %&*$! shocked.gif

What motor Ron?

A snowmobile. It's a 1993 polaris indy 500 efi.

I use a snowmobile flywheel puller and an impact wrench. I do not think you are supposed to use an impact wrench, but my buddy who was a Polaris mechanic told me that is what he does. Works everytime.

I just rebuilt a 600 and had the same problem. I thought the puller was going to snap. I cranked it as tight as I dared and gave it a couple good cracks with a hammer on the puller bolt and nothing. Talked to a buddy of mine that has done quite a few, and he said "dont be afraid to give it a good hard hit". After 2 good hits, (harder than I thought I should have to) it popped right off.

Ok, I am going to really go at it today. All or nothing!! grin.gif

The good news. I got it removed. smile.gif

The bad news. 2 of the magnets broke off and cracked up. frown.gif

If its not one thing its another....

Well at least now I can test the piece of #%&*!