• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Nisswa Guide Service Report!

Here is the latest from the Nisswa Guide Service:

With some cool nights setting in we are now starting to see some walleye activity again on some of the bigger lakes. Our fishing guides have had some really nice walleye trips the last few days, including a few limits. We have seen the best activity on Gull, Pelican, and the Whitefish Chain. The pattern seems to be about the same everywhere. Most fish are grouping up along weed points in 16-20 feet of water. The best tactic to catch some of these chunky walleyes has been a Lindy Rig tipped with a lively redtail chub. Keep trying different spots until you make contact with hungry fish. I think we are on the verge of some great walleye fishing. It could just explode any day now. The bass fishing continues to be just awesome. I think it has been one of the best years on record for numbers of bass caught. Plus the number of trophy size bass caught has been outstanding. It has been a fun summer. I think that the smaller lakes in the area have been best this week. Most anglers are reporting good success using mushroom head jigs and plastic worms or spinner-baits. The pike fishing has been pretty good this week too. One of our guides had some monster pike in the boat including a 14#, a 16#, and a huge 21 pounder. They were quite the battle and were released to battle again. Every species is still relating to the weedlines. With summer coming to an end be sure to get out there for one more cast.

Jason Erlandson

I was on gull last week and will agree with everything you have said. The bass were just crazy, a lot of shorties though. We found a good bunch of walleyes on spinners and leeches behind a bottom bouncer in 13-20 feet. A lot of 12-13 inchers, but we managed plenty to eat in the 15-17 inch range. We had a great time!

Yesterday was good again on Gull. Lindy rigs and redtails along the weedlines worked best. Quite a few 15-16 inchers, but lots of misses to go with it. With the wind they had trouble feeling the all the bites. I think that we are starting to see a nice pattern developing. Lets hope it continues.

Jason Erlandson

Hello Jason,

Do your guides usually tail hook the redtails or lip hook them? Rocket

Hi Rocket, Usually hooking position varies. When we are fishing near the weeds or through the weeds we will lip hook them. They seem to come through the weeds a little better hooked in the traditional manner. When we are out fishing an open bottom or when we have found a school of fish and we are hovering, then we will tail hook. I think each way catches fish. Personally I like to tail hook more often than not.

Jason Erlandson

Jason, I am having similiar success on Gull...

I have mostly been fishing weed edges or even in the weeds on big structure... This afternoon a 25 inch walleye, 4 northerns all well over 30 inches, plus a 17.5 inch bass and an 18 inch bass and many smaller ones. All caught on crank baits... One of the northerns was tail hooked....which made for quite a fight. All fish released.

I am catching walleyes just about every time I go out and some really nice fish...

The surface temp has dropped a bunch the past week and I am sure the thermocline has also gone down... Walleye's will be in a bit deeper water although some large fish are still relating to the weeds...

I will probably stop by next week for some red tails since I agree the pattern is changing...

Joel

Great reports guys. I like how Sportland Corner always give the facts. Thanks Jason for sharing.

Thanks for the encouragement! We work pretty hard at keeping up to the moment info for everyone. Seems to be paying off. The bait shop is busier, the guide service bookings are up 25%, and we are getting calls from lots of new boat storage customers for this fall/winter. We'll keep posting the latest for you guys, hopefully it helps.

Jason Erlandson