Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sparcebag

Outboard cooling system

6 posts in this topic

My 7.5 Hp. johnson quit pumping water through the external hole.Ive been running through heavy vegetation,and shallow waters.could it be plugged?but yet cooling? I just noticed it yesterday after running it bout 2 miles,It seems to be running fine but I dont want too ruin it! Can I back flush it? if so how? confused.gif

I've been known to take a mouthful of water and blow it back though the hole and that usually does the trick. Otherwise, a can of air like is used for cleaning keyboards should do it. Or I have heard of using a piece of line from a weed whacker to clean out the hole, as well.

More then likely you need a new water pump installed. There should be some intakes on the lower unit that have screens on them. Make sure they are not covered up and if they aren't then I would take it in ASAP to get the pump replaced.

Thanks Wiggum! I knew I'd get a the gloom replys,replace this & that but your answer is what I'm looking for! FIND THE PROBLEM FIRST!! then take appropriate action.Anyother suggestions?? I'll take em all smile.gifcool.gif

The hole on our pontoon gets clogged with weeds all the time!

Ya Ralph I put the ole carpsucker lips to it,thought bout Heidi Klum and it cleared right up,Its workin FINE THANKS smile.gif