Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
troyslund

lowrance gps with lake map chip??

9 posts in this topic

this summer i bought a handheld lowrance ifinder expedition and the lake map chip... has anyone else used these on mille lacs.. are they accurate enough to easily put you on flats and rock piles?? i live in duluth and have found them fairly accurate here but not completely... i know there have been a few boating accidents this summer where people were navigating at night only by watching there gps and ran ashore (foolish)).....overall i love the thing but hope it's accurate on mille lacs especially???? laugh.gif

They are pretty tits on.

However, the lake is down at least 3 ft or better than what is says on the chip, so you still have to be careful.

Mid-lake structure and main shoreline breaks are really accurate, but there are a lot of shallow spots in the rocky areas close to shore that aren't identified on the chip (especially on the east side).

yes they are almost dead on. I was out there in june when water levels were not so bad and it was right on to what the vexilar was saying.

I even went to Myr Mar flat in a certain spot while a bunch of other boats were fishing as well alittle ways away. We started realing in fish and 2 guys yelled to find out why we were away from the crowd and what we were using. My reply was to let them know they were not even close to the flat if that was what they were looking for. LakeMaster RULES! I agree though, it is pretty accurate but as the water levels go down the depth readings on the maps will be off. The flats will be in the same place but depths are the only thing changing.

Some lakes are better than others. A lake like millacs will be updated more often than smaller ones. I have navionics hot maps 07, and so far it is pretty close on smaller lakes. Going to try millacs this weekend. How does that hand held work for you? To me it seems that there would be too much going on to hold something else.

They make mounting brackets for them so you can put it in just like a fish locator. If I'm not mistaken the one I have is made by RAM.

Oh, I see. I have a ram mount on my lowrance 525c. Those mounts are cool! You can move it where ever you want.

Just remember the warning that comes up each time you power your unit up. It says something like do not use this as your only navigational tool. I would never use and trust a GPS to navigate through unfamiliar area's. Once you have tested the area's in question it is a great tool. I know I love mine.

Very good point. I am still learning mine. Thinking of taking the class they offer. The book that came with doesn't have enough pictures, I can't understand words.