Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
pfluemis

DNR FISH FINE

9 posts in this topic

A Battle Lake angler could face up to $18,000 in fines for over fishing.

73-year-old Leroy Vorgert is accused of catching 140 sunfish over the legal limit on West Battle Lake. Officers were tipped off after the witness says Vorgert would bring home fish everyday. Authorities searched his residence and found all the fish.

Vorgert could lose his fishing license for three years. He will appear in court again on August 21st.

Looks like a typo. I copied this from the DNR web site:

A recent investigation by Minnesota conservation officers netted a Battle Lake man with 140 sunfish over the legal limit and facing possible fines and restitution of nearly $1,800.

Yup, I didn't catch that, I think they did say $1800 in the tv broadcast. Looks like the person posting the story onto the website may have errored.

Think of how many years he has bene doing that... wow. That's most likely a lot of fish over the limit.

It should be 18,000 not 1,800. shocked.gif

Maybe then he and others that poach would repsect the laws for what they are. mad.gif

Looks like a real incentive to go over fishing to me. If the enforcement is so slight and the consequences are so minor, then it's no wonder we frequently read articles in the paper about, for typical metro MN example, a family with 350 crappies over the limit.

I think $1,800 and losing his license is plenty and a huge fine for this guy.

Now, if it was crappies it should be more. If walleyes, way way more.

Betcha Leroy hasn't read the regs for a loonnngggg time!

I believe they also seized his boat and motor in addition to the fines.