Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
avidfisher

camping help

5 posts in this topic

Any advise on where to camp Father hennepin or Kathio, Ther will be 3 adults and three children. The children ages 8 and 12 have never been camping and are easily bored with fishing when not catching. Other options like hiking or other family oriented excursions would be nice. Also where would i have to keep the boat,how much is the access,and what shape are they in. Also with regulation change where would someone try to catch some walleyes or some muskies in relation to one of them parks or another if suggested. I don,t need specific spots just areas near where i camp. I generally have gone out of agate which is a ways from the parks. Any info would be helpul. I am leaving thursday night.

Hennepin is on the lake and kathio is not.

I have only been to Hennepin. They have 2 accesses and back in June they were still in good shape with places to park at the large one. You would have to park boat at campsite over night on trailer.

There is swings and paths but you have to supply your own fun with lawn games or bring bikes or roller blades etc.

I have not been up there in a while so i can't comment on the fishing.

If your looking for convenience then Hennepin, as the launch is free with paid camping. However summer is usually full, and reservations might be needed?

I would have to agre with muleshack, Hennipin is the place to go. More things for the kids to do, miles of hiking paths, wildlife galore (including white deer), good access to the lake, and spacious sites. Hope you can get in, there are also big open areas to play yard games down at the play areas, and picnic areas. smile.gif

With a boat, Hennipin is the place to camp. Consider a trip to Kathio, Last week I went there and threw my canoe in the river, went upstream to just before the bouy for the dam and threw a spinner next to the weeds for less than an hour and got 4 northern 18-22", and two walleye (one was 24"). I didn't keep any. Just out for the fun. A big walleye seems bigger when it pulls you around a little. The park there also rents canoes and kayaks at reasonable rates. A good break from the normal.

The bridge going into Father Hennepin was always a great spot to fish from shore. With low water, it might be hard. Do not rule out shore fishing if you do not have boat.