• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Yet another Battery Question.

Gator Slayer

Question

Will a smaller garden tractor battery work for only starting a 25hp fs motor? I found one rated at 375 cca. I'd like to rearrange some weight in my little 14 ft boat. I'd like to move the deep cycle to up front under the seat. When I fish alone the bow is way in the air and I think this would help alot. Thanks for any advice.

5 answers to this question

That seems a little week to me.

God forbid you would run into motor troubles or flood eng.. The battery would not hold up for much cranking over time.

All I can say is give it a try and see what happens!

Go to Google and seach for cold crank amps for 25 hp outboard. The first one that comes up is a Mercury page that shows that for a 25 hp engine, they recommend a minimum of 350 cca, so your 375 would probably work. The thing to worry about is how many starts are you going to get off the smaller battery vs. a larger one. That I don't know, but I think I would rather have a little bit bigger one myself.

Assuming your outboard motor will demand quite a bit, it might be able to deliver the cranking amps but its small size will limit its capacity. In other words, you'll be using a significant percentage of the battery's capacity with each startup. Cranking batteries don't work well if they are drawn down too much too often so you may find yourself replacing the battery more often than you hope for.

Bob

Quote:

Go to Google and seach for
cold crank amps for 25 hp outboard
. The first one that comes up is a Mercury page that shows that for a 25 hp engine, they recommend a minimum of 350 cca, so your 375 would probably work. The thing to worry about is how many starts are you going to get off the smaller battery vs. a larger one. That I don't know, but I think I would rather have a little bit bigger one myself.

Wow, my 70hp 3cyl Evinrude starter only draws 135 amps. Figure doubling it to have enough CCA and I'm only at 270a.

It does only have a 35 amp charging system though. I forget what the smaller motors are, but I think they are around 18 amps. It would take quite a bit of run time to charge the battery if the motor didn't fire up right away each time.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Getting the battery out of the stern will help a 14' er out tremendously. Give the L&G battery a try. Worst that'll happen is you have to pull start it.

5 years ago I put a 7amp hr battery in a Yamaha 110 4 wheeler as its starting battery. Its still in there and working. Never charged it up and its sits all winter.