• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

temp and speed-- depth raider

any one fish with one of these?? do they really help that much?? and if they do how do they?? with temp change, moving depths along with temp??

They work really well, there is a lot of current out there and it will tell you what is what on the direction you are going and the temp. They are a must have and they will help put more fish in the Boat. As of yesterday the water temp in a 120 feet off the lester 80 feet down was 39 degrease fish where being cough 45 feet to 75 feet down. This is good to now where the temps are and you can run your bait in the zone and for speed you can make your baits fish all the time. I hope you can see my point and it helps a lot if you need more help let me now and good fishing to you as well smirk.gif.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

I don't have one but some day I will if the prices go down.

Knowing the temp and lure speed throughout the water column is a big plus.

I got a Depth Raider this year. I really like it but I don't have a full season of experience with it yet. I equate a speed and temp unit for trolling to a vexilar, or other flasher, for icefishing. You don't NEED one, but after you have one, try fishing without it.

I think they're very helpful. On Lake Superior, I think both the temp and speed have been very helpful to me. My catch rate on Lake Superior in mid to late summer months is better now then before I had one, mostly because I have a larger overall presentation in the preferred temp ranges. On Lake Mich, the speed at the ball has been more helpful then the temp. Obviously you don't have to have one but once you do, it would be hard to go back. I have a subtroll and like it quite well. Cannon and Depthraider are other products. Alot of guys like Depthraider but I will also say that feedback from other discussion boards sounds like they're more tempermental or varying issues. Maybe I have been lucky but I have never had an issue with my subtroll and I am still on my original battery after two years. I have been very happy with it and the large analog readout is easier to read from the back of the boat then the digital readout of other units (for those of us whose eyes aren't getting any better).

might be dumb question?? but what are the temps your looking for?? I know lakers like colder water and coho like warmer, is there a temp to look for??

Quot,

might be dumb question?? but what are the temps your looking for??

I like 46 to 56 in temp and just so you now that Coho like cold water smirk.gif. This is why they move north from Duluth just to stay with the temps that means colder water. I hope you get the speed and temp, you will be lost with out it and you will put more fish in your Boat with it than fishing Blind smirk.gif. This water temp applies for trout and salmon cool.gif.