Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Members Only Fluid Forum View   08/08/2017

Fluid forum view allows members only to get right to the meat of this community; the topics. You can toggle between your preferred forum view just below to the left on the main forum entrance. You will see three icons. Try them out and see what you prefer.   Fluid view allows you, if you are a signed up member, to see the newest topic posts in either all forums (select none or all) or in just your favorite forums (select the ones you want to see when you come to Fishing Minnesota). It keeps and in real time with respect to Topic posts and lets YOU SELECT YOUR FAVORITE FORUMS. It can make things fun and easy. This is especially true for less experienced visitors raised on social media. If you, as a members want more specific topics, you can even select a single forum to view. Let us take a look at fluid view in action. We will then break it down and explain how it works in more detail.   The video shows the topic list and the forum filter box. As you can see, it is easy to change the topic list by changing the selected forums. This view replaces the traditional list of categories and forums.   Of course, members only can change the view to better suit your way of browsing.   You will notice a “grid” option. We have moved the grid forum theme setting into the main forum settings. This makes it an option for members only to choose. This screenshot also shows the removal of the forum breadcrumb in fluid view mode. Fluid view remembers your last forum selection so you don’t lose your place when you go back to the listing. The benefit of this feature is easy to see. It removes a potential barrier of entry for members only. It puts the spotlight on topics themselves, and not the hierarchical forum structure. You as a member will enjoy viewing many forums at once and switching between them without leaving the page. We hope that fluid view, the new functionality is an asset that you enjoy .
Sign in to follow this  
pick

Salted Minnows?

pick

Anyone had success with Salted minnows or is it just a wives tale? I was told that bait around VNP is quite expensive and one way to get around it was to buy the biggest minnows you can find a couple of nights before coming up and put them in a big ziplock with a bunch of salt. Then use them as you would live minnows? The gent who told me about it said that he even drops three on a treble hook in about 20-30 feet of water at night near his campsite and ties it off on shore overnight. Said he catches big lake trout each night? Sounds simple enough but too good to be true....

overdalimit

ME THINK'S SOMEONE IS PULLING YOUR LEG. Bait is not much more than anywhere else as far as I know. You are spending how much on this vacation and you are worried about saving a few cents? Dozen jumbo leaches 3.50, very generous dozen minnows 4.50, 2 dozen crawlers 4.50, gas at a resort 3.80 a gal for premium non oxy, at the pump its 3.25. Why not salt some minnows and compare them side by side with live bait and then give us a report on what worked better...just don't leave your line out unattended as that is against the law not to mention very unsportsman like. Have a good time and enjoy the park!

Farley

Your buddy sounds like a winner. Three things wrong with what he told you. You shouldnt leave your line unattended like that. It is illegal not to mention taking a chance of loosing a nice fishin rod. Using bare treble hooks is illegal (by bare I mean it has to be attached to a rapala, daredevil, or something). Also, I may be wrong on this, but I've never seen or heard of lake trout in the VNP except for maybee Rainy.

overdalimit

Nam used to be full of lakers. I think a couple of the interior lakes have lakers too. I would have to check the map but I know there are a few trout lakes in the park.

pick

Ah Ha. Thanks Guys. I wasn't big on the thought of leaving a $700 rig just hanging out overnight. Now knowing its legal seals the deal. The guy that told me about this is even older than me so the chances that he either senile or is talking about something he did 30 years are both pretty good.

BigStevie

Just a comment on the salted minnows... we use them all the time when we fish in Canada. The whole can't bring live bait over the border thing... Obviously they are not as ideal as live bait but we certainly catch a lot of fish using them. But I agree, bait isn't all that expensive in/near the park. I'd only salt minnows if you had to.

just my .02 Good Luck!