• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Early goose sets

I hope that it's ok to ask more than one question. I hunt hay feilds in the Duluth area. Does any one else? I use 1 dz. shells with flocked heads, 1 dz. siloets, 9 floaters, and 3-5 hovering decoys. I place my shells in a v formation next to my blind. I use a pattern I once saw live geese resting in. I then split my silos into two family groups about 10 yards behind the shells with the floaters resting on the in side of them. There is about 20 to 30 yards between the two familys. I then place 3-5 hovering decoys about 40 yds. away from my blind so I know when the geese are in range. I place them so they look like there landing just inside of one of family groups. I love the hoverers! Does any one else use they? And how do you guys set up? Or any sugestions? I feel like a kid waiting for christmass

I dont hunt waterfowl so I dont have any answers. You may ask all the questions you would like too. Thier is no quota.

Welcome to Fishing Minnesota.

unclesalty, sounds like you have all the steps covered. Only thing to add now are some full bodies. I know they are spendy but they will finish those stubborn geese.

Never have used the hover deeks, but if they work, go for it. We use 8 doz full bodies, 6 doz sili's, and about 2 dozen shells. We make family groups of 5 up to 25 with the main concentration where the blinds are. We start by setting out full bodies and then fill in with the sili's and the shell on stakes for motion. Do you own a flag? These are a key to goose hunting success, if you dont own one I would suggest getting one. And invest in some full bodies. When I started hunting geese the spread you have is very similar to what I had then and it worked awesome. Just over the years we have added more dekes and have killed larger #'s over a bigger spread. Good Luck!!