• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Cross Wind

surewood

Just wanted to see if I was the only one that beleives a cross wind is a better tactic than having the wind at your face. I beleive that some deer and specifically bucks do alot of scent checking with the wind in their favor. So I set my stands in a cross wind on a trail I expect deer to be useing. That way they can use the wind and still not wind me if I set up correctly. Seems to me I have seen more deer useing this tactic, just wondering if anybody else has had succsess doing it that way. I know personally I have seen more bucks this way.

Watching the few big bucks that I have personally shot, they all circled me to check the wind. These brute's will circle to check everything out. What I try to do is to keep as ascent free as possible and the higher in the tree the better. If one gets up high enough(18-20ft), its less likely they will wind scent you or even see you.

The other problem I have with Bucks is I never know where they are coming from. That tells me they circle alot.