Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
st.croixfishin

Launch above Taylors Falls

6 posts in this topic

Can someone tell me a good launch area above the taylors falls dam? I'm thinking of heading up there to chase some smallies this upcoming weekend. Thanks!

On the Wis. side, just above St. Croix Falls. smile.gifCan't miss it. Real nice park.

And it's in great shape despite the low water levels.

Hey guys,

I got out to the river yesterday for my first time ever. We launched from lions park. I've been missing out, its gorgeous up there! My buddy and I caught a couple decent smallies and lots of littler ones. The biggest one was 2lbs 12oz. I have one question... Is there a better population of smallmouth if you run up river a ways? or is it better down by the dam and just above lions park launch. We didn't run up river terribly far and I'm just wondering if we should have or not. Any insight woulg be great, Thanks!

I go upstream a little ways just because it always seems that there's tubers down by the park access. There's always boats upstream too, especially the cruser cabins and pontooners. But most of them are very respectful towards fishermen and keep their distance, especially those local pontooners.

The lower stretch has got some decent habitat that's often overlooked. Lots of stumps, which is obvious. But there's also a couple decent breaks that hold fish. The "upper" river up to the state park access/Nevers area acts more like a typical river. There's a little more current, a couple of decent breaks, but I'd say fewer stumps. There is also an old anchor of mine in the upper section that may be holding fish, too. But that's another story entirely; all I'll just say that I may be related to Bill Dance somehow. blush.gif

Quote:

I go upstream a little ways just because it always seems that there's tubers down by the park access. There's always boats upstream too, especially the cruser cabins and pontooners. But most of them are very respectful towards fishermen and keep their distance, especially those local pontooners.

The lower stretch has got some great habitat that's often overlooked. Lots of stumps, which is obvious. But there's also some decent breaks that hold fish. The "upper" river up to the state park access/nevers area acts more like a typical river. There's a couple of decent breaks, but I'd say fewer stumps. There is also old anchor of mine in the upper section that may be holding fish, to. But that's another story entirely, but I'll just say that I may be related to Bill Dance somehow.
blush.gif

LOL We found an anchor on the turle hole near franconia. Fishing was all right as well. We caught a bunch of smallies and a couple of walleyes, no cats though or turtles.