Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MNSkin

Best paper map of Vermilion??

6 posts in this topic

Going to be headed to Vermilion on Sep 8th-15th and wonder what is the best map to buy of the lake. I have the navionic's chip but it's always easier for me to look at a paper map to figure out where I'm at and where I want to go.Was up at Vermilion last year and we stayed at Vermilion Dam lodge this year we are renting a house on Daisy Bay.So I have a little familiarity of the lake. Any help is greatly appreciated........Thanks Tracey

Lake master puts out a pretty good map of the big V.

MNSkin, I'm with you on the paper deal. There are basically three routes to go on good detailed paper V maps.

Lakemaster and Fishing Hot Spots both offer foldout paper maps in durable, water-resistant paper, and Sportsman's Connection puts out a book of St. Louis County lake maps that is handier to use because it's smaller, but the paper is not coated. I have all three, and each is a bit better at some things and worse at others.

The Lakemaster map has varying shades of blue going from lighter to darker blue as you go from shallower to deeper water. It has some sections that offer exploded detail. I find it fairly hard to read because of all that medium and darker blue, and it looks a lot more cluttered than the Fishing Hot Spots map. It does, however, offer a nice way to tell at a glance the relative depths around the lake.

The FHS map is a constant pale blue color over the whole water surface, and I find it much easier to read. It also contains many marks and written descriptions of the well-known fishing spots on both the east and west sides for all the commonly pursued fish species, as well as a bit of advice on lures and presentations, and that comes in handy for a newbie on the lake. It also give you a written lake and fishery profile, which Lakemaster does not.

Both foldout maps have the east end on one side and the west end on the other. The east end is about the same size on each map, but the Lakemaster map shows the west end on a larger scale than the FHS map. The Lakemaster map appears to show the depth contours in greater detail, and as I've used it to probe specific spots, I believe it is finer in its rendition of bottom contours.

The other route would be the St. Louis County book of maps put out by Sportsman's Connection. I have several of the SC map books. The book has tons of maps, including Big V, and it was recently updated. Big V takes up several pages. There's not as much fine detail as either of the other maps, nor is the paper water resistant, but locations and tips are offered like on the FHS map. The SC book is a handy way to get a look at a whole bunch of lakes in a compact-sized package (about 8.5 by 11 inches). The SC book also contains lake profile and DNR stocking and sampling information.

All three are GPS friendly, with Lakemaster and FHS offering waypoints on the map itself for good locations. The SC map does not, but it has a GPS grid superimposed over the lake map, which is some help.

I think I paid $10 for the FHS map and a bit more for the Lakemaster. The SC book is about $25. All are available in area bait stores or can be ordered online if you don't want to wait until you come up. I'd post the Web sites, but they are not sponsors, so we don't do that. A quick google search will get you there. At least two of them and probably all three should be available at Vermilion Food and Fuel right on the main drag in Tower, but I haven't checked there for a month or two.

Hope that helps.

I have the LakeMaster map and the Fishing Hot Spots maps of Vermillion. I think LM is the way to go. It is 3-foot contours just like the map from the LM chip, so you get a lot more detail than the FHS map. If you are only going to buy one map that may be the one to go with. The price difference is only $5.

If you fish a lot of lakes in St. Louis County you may want to go for the Sportsmans Connection Book like STF mentioned. Even if you only had to pay $0.50 per map the book would have over $85 worth of maps (there are over 170 lake maps) for about $25 - $30.

Thanks for the replies guy's I figured FHS or Lake Master were probably my choices.

The Lakemaster map is significantly more accurate than FHS.

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• h8go4s
      This one? http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/lakefind/lake.html?id=31065300   Everything you need to know, paid for by your tax dollars.
    • Juan Grande
      What's the flow like on the Rum, Moose?
    • Avid Angler
      Hi guys and gals,   Does anyone know much about this lake? I don't fish this area of the state. We are looking to stay at Cedar Point Resort for a week. Just want to get to know the lake for what it is.   Is it a bass, northern, pan fish or walleye lake? Or all of the above? The surveys don't look that impressive.   Any good guides in the area?   Thanks.   Avid
    • portageguy
      The bite is on in Trout lake. Remote lake walleye fishing has been good. A leech or crawler has  been producing nice fish. This last week Trout lake has been good for lake trout, walleye and bass. A camper had caught and released a 44 inch pike. Bass fishermen reported 100 fish days.   The Y-store is looking into taking on BWCA permits. Please encourage and support them to do so. 
    • delcecchi
      On many lakes it is possible to rent a boat for a reasonable price.  Or to hire a guide who knows the area and the lakes. 
    • Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle of Lake of the Woods!

Here in Minnesota, water temps are in the low to mid 60’s and the Walleyes keep rollin’ in! Wind blown shorelines are giving up walleyes via leeches and crank-baits right along the weed line. Crawlers on a gold and/or orange spinner are producing fish out of the mud between 22 and 26 feet. Jigging has been tough this week with the strong winds, but the Mayflies have finally tapered off!!

Up on the Canadian side, bottom bouncing has been filling the live wells outside of monument bay between 24-28 feet.  Jigging near Skeet and Kennedy Islands have seen nice sized walleye and numerous perch. Great smallmouth action can currently be had in Tranquil channel and the mouth of Johnston passage. Muskie fishing is still sporadic with high 40” class fish being caught from shallow bottom bays or just outside of them. 

Fish of the Week:
      49" and 46" Muskie
      40" Pike
      At least 10 Walleye over 25" 

We hope to see you soon! Sunset Lodge
    • monstermoose78
      This is close to home for me. I love the dunes, but the refuge is messed up. The refuge told me they were brining native game birds back, so I was excited and said sharptailed grouse and the guy looked and me and said no ringnecked pheasants. I laughed at him and said really he said yes really. I told him ringnecked pheasants are invasive species he argued they are native and I walked out shaking my head.    The refuge could be a strong hold for sharptailed grouse, prairie chickens, and water fowl if they managed for them. The dune could extend this area. 
    • CaptainSeabass
      G'day guys, I've started up this post as I will be visiting Minnesota (to be specific the Stuart Lake in the Ottertail Lake area) and I would love to hook into some fish! I'm originally from the Netherlands, have lived in Australia for the last 8 years working as a fishing guide, I have moved to Dallas TX with my wife and now we will be visiting my in-laws in Minnesota. I would love to catch Musky, which I know West Battle Lake holds, and of course Walleye. I have been trying to look for areas that hold smallmouth but was unable to find any. I don't have a boat up there or anything so I know I will be in a massive disadvantage for musky but I will give it a try with waders. I would love to get as many tips as possible! Cheers!
    • thelars5
      This years West Central Bowhunter 60 will be held on August 12th and 13th with registration from 9am - 3pm Saturday and 9am - 2pm Sunday!   Come to enjoy the rolling hills and grasslands of the Prairie Woods Environmental Learning Center. Little Crow Archers of Willmar & Swift County Archers of Benson have teamed up to host this 60-Target 3-D shoot. Shoot it in one day, or make a weekend of it and shoot both days! Our promise is that you will not be disappointed!   Highlights include, Generous sized walking trails, On-site concessions, and seating deck! Stakes for : Adult, Youth, Traditional, and Cubs All on over 100 Acres! 90% Rinehart Targets   Full Course (60-Targets) $23 Adults ~ $15 Youth 16 & under ~ $60 Family Max 1/2 Course (30-Targets) $14 Adults ~ $8 Youth 16 & under ~ $36 Family Max   Shoot Location: Prairie Woods Environmental Learning Center 12718 10th St NE Spicer, MN 56288 GPS coordinates: N 45° 14.716 W 95° 1.777 @1.5 Miles West of Hwy 71 on County Road 29   www.littlecrowarchers.com
    • osok
         Personally I do seem to catch quite a few overs, some days it can be a challenge to find keeper fish ( stupid problem to have, huh?). One thing I notice is that all the fish seem to be very thick through out the classes.   While I was tackling some honey-do's I noticed that the breeze was a bit stiff, I'm sure it was a challenge to maintain a line or consistent  speed.   Over all was it a good day for you?