Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mindbender

Dead Lake

9 posts in this topic

Has anyone fished Dead lake lately? What's it known for? I notice on some of the information that one arm has the possiblity of winter killing fish - does that impact the fishing dead? (or does anyone know if it has happened in recent years?)

Dead is a great lake for largemouth bass, crappie, walleye and pike. Folks at the Northern Lights resort usually keep tabs on where they are biting. Lots of rushes to cast for bass in the am/evenings. Deep break through the gap is a known walleye spot. Northerns run small and plenty, but we pull some 32-36 fish with some regularity. One of my favorite area lakes. Enjoy.

I am heading to Dead next weekend. Been to the lake a million times in the last 30 plus years, but only hunted it for ducks. I wanted to try pulling crank for walleyes and then we will throw some stuff for bass. Any tips for what kind of cranks and how deep for the walleyes?

nobody on the site knows anything about Dead???? Throw me a bone, I don't want to clean out the lake or steal your favorite spot, I just want a tip or two. confused.gif

Hey Nova,

I just read your last post and I understand your frustration. I think the reason no one replied is that there has been very little fishing going on on Dead this summer. I have fished it quite a bit and can tell you that it will be very slow this weekend. If possible get out real early in the morning and fish the drop offs with a jig and a minnow. You might pick up something around the big island northwest of the public landing. I have never tried crank baits, so I can't help you much there. There is a pretty distinct weedline at around 15 feet, so I would think something that would dive that deep might work. Problem is that it is not very straight, so you will get hung up on weeds often.

As for bass, I catch more bass by accident fishing walleye than I do trying for them. Rattle Raps tossed up to the weed ling and pulled in has worked in the past. Otherwise buzz baits, pig and a jig, etc. around the bull rushes should prove fruitfull.

It's a nice lake and you won't have a lot of company, so good luck.

Mav

Mav, thanks a ton for the info. I don't expect to catch a whole lot this time of year, just wanted to get out and pull some cranks while I was scouting for ducks and geese. Agian thanks for the help. I will report back how we do on Monday.

Is mid to late September any better for dead lake? will be in the area 9/19-23, looking to get on some water while there. Any info about deer lake same time of year? Thanks...

Things do pick up as the water gets colder. The walleye will still be off the drop offs for the most part. Trying the weedlines is always a good idea. The crappie will likely pick up also. It's hard to pinpoint where they will be, but usually around the cabbage is a pretty good place to start. Good luck.

The chores at the hunting shack got the best of me and really cut into my fishing time, but we did get out for about 2 hours. Got one nice largemouth and had a couple other short hits on top water. Trolled for about a half hour with deeper running cranks for eyes, but nothing doing there. I have all fall to try and hit this lake again, assuming I can get my ducks early in the morning then throw some cranks out. Thanks again for the tips Mav.