Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
LetThemGo

Any Updates/Info on Sturgeon Fishing?

7 posts in this topic

Would like to come up with my father next week to do some sturgeon fishing. Can someone tell me if Sturgeon can be caught in the river this time of year, or is fishing for them in August pretty tough? If so, what are the tactics this time of year - do you just fish the deep holes? Also, will we be able to safely navigate the river in our 18 ft. walleye boat?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!

We fished below the dam last Friday and Saturday. Lots of small sturgeon in the 36" range. Then we started looking for deep holes on the river and ended up with several fish over 45" with the biggest at 56". For the 2 days we ended up with over 20 sturgeon.

Mish,

Thanks for the report - I really appreciate it. I thought I wasn't going to get a response for a while. We are headed up on Saturday morning and will fish 3-4 days depending on the bite.

How are river conditions - any hazardous spots to worry about? Also, what bait did you use? This is my first time up, so I'm a little clueless on what to do.

Thanks again for your reply. I'll let you know how I do once I'm back next week.

Let them go,

Sorry that I didn't reply here right away, I just noticed your post now. Anyhow it was good talking to you on the phone. If you have any further questions feel free to call us or post here.

Thanks and see you soon!

We got our information from Bill Landmark. He probably told you the same as us. We used nightcrawlers and had to put up with the sucker bit to get the Sturgeon bit. Good Luck and if I can figure out how to post a picture, I will.