• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

RESPECT FELLOW FISHERMAN!

Seems every year I feel the need to bring this up, and frankly this year is not much different. We fish on a very vast body of water up here with literally millions of fishing spots. Please have the common sense not to inhibit another boats ability to fish. That means if someone is set up fishing whether that be anchoring, trolling, drifting or what have you exercise some good judgement, and don't hinder there movements. Nothing frustrates fisherman more than being set up on a spot and have another boat fly in and throw out marker bouys only feet away from me. This isn't about owning the lake or the spot... it is about common sense and respect. Now I am very limited to what I can do let alone the fact that one of the great things about these Glacial lakes is the solitude of the settings. Be respectful to other fisherman, and use your head out there! Or you just might get a drive by with the Lund Fisherman magnum! Ha! Good Fishing Guys!

RD

Someone should put together a article called Boating 101 and publish it every May in Outdoor Magazines. I was in a 14' boat anchored one day on Rainy. I had this 19' boat come cruising in, just slowing down enough to read his graph as he circles me. His wake was pretty big enough to lift my anchor up and move me. As he circled me once, he decides to take off full throttle. Rude! Same spot a hour later, I was off a point of a island with 2 miles of open water to the north. There was another 14' boat,like mine, about a football field to the north anchored. Here come 2 big Glastrons and instead of going around us to the north. They decided to split us and they must have been closer to me, I would say 30 yards. They were going full throttle and they just smiled and waved. In all kindness of Rainy I just smiled and waved back, even though my anchor lifted and I floated off my hole. I know most of you might say get a bigger anchor or let out more rope. I know it is public water but come on people have some common sense. I don't mind someone coming in close(not right on top of me) to check out what I am sitting on, but go slow enough not to disturb other fisherman. Once again people just use some COMMON SENSE.

I have quite a few stories of (fill in the blank) people doing inappropriate things. Like the time my dad and I were fishing a spot and this boat comes in. No big deal we thought. Until they proceed to anchor about 30 feet from us and the guy driving sets up some rods while two LARGE women who decide it's a great place to jump in for a swim. Well these two whales start scraping barnicles off or whatever they're doing on their air mattresses and Captain Oblivious hides and pretends he doesn't see us. We decided to go but only before I left them with a large wake to deal with.

Another time my dad and I were nearly run into by a boat trying to pass us in Rocky Narrows. All of a sudden a boat appears off our port side and he's attempting a pass where there wasn't adaquate room. We were about 10 feet from shore trying to get out of the way. The other boat swerved around us and nearly ran into a small island.

HEY GUYS,

I GOTTA CHIME ON THIS ONE. FIRST OFF, MOST OF THE JERKS WHO PULL UP ON YOU ARE SO USE TO FISHING CROWDED WATERS THAT THEY DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT IT, I FOR ONE HAVE NEVER BEEN AFRAID TO USE MY VOICE IF SOMEONE HAS NO COMMON COURTESY., MOST THE TIME YOU TAKE THEM BY SURPRISE, AND THEY LOOKED MAD OR PUZZLED & LEAVE.

WHAT I'M REALLY CONCERNED ABOUT IS THE RANIER BRIDGE, NOW YOUR TALKING BIGTIME DANGER. WHEN THE FISHING IS GOOD IN FRONT OF THE BRIDGE ALOT OF PEOPLE ANCHOR IN FRONT OF THE BRIDGE. I HAVE SAW BOATS DOING 40 TO 60 MILES PER HOUR GO 15 FEET FROM A BOAT...YES I SAID 15 FEET...SOMEONE IS GOING TO DIE. THIS HAS BEEN REPORTED TO THE LOCAL WARDEN & THE D.N.R., WE WANT A MAX SPEED SIGN PUT ON THAT BRIDGE, MAYBE SOMEONE HAS TO DIE 1ST. IT IS THE DUTY OF THE U.S. SIDE TO ENFORCE A SPEED LIMIT, AS THE PILLARS WHERE THE BOATS GO THRU ARE IN AMERICAN WATERS.

SINCERELY,

FISHMEISTER

Hey Rainy aand Fishmeister

I am from small lakes down around the Alexandria area and I have found if I am walleye fishing and its a keeper fish I hoist the fish way before i get the net cause if one boat it seems like sees you net a fish they are on top of you. It really does get sickening. Well all in all I only got a 17 1/2 foot alumacraft with a 60 yamaha on it and i can only throw so big of a wake. People dont realise that others like to fish by them selfs when they are used to crowding people. I hate it mabey thats why I dont catch the most fish when i am up there. If somebody comes by me I move, theres a whole lake of good spots but it takes time to find them and if I do and another boat crowds me I will move and try to find the fish after they leave. Well thats just how I feel, take care and good fishing guys.

P.s If you see a Alumacraft up there in 3 weeks you can wave so I can meet you. Also any hot tips are appreaciated.

Fishmeister we are coming up tues. 28 at about midnite. Hardees still open for some dinner or no. Ha Ha right?

The Bird

Have a couple very small humps (not on maps) that I love to fish. Just barely big enough for a couple boats. Never used bouys to mark it, so when other boats would come by I would just look at them and smile. If they stopped to see what I was doing, I'd say, "Lots of water around here..." LOL! Mainly because unless they were right on the reef, they'd be in about 80-90 feet of water. Also, I'd tell my clients to hold there rods still and not set the hook on a bite... Never saw any of them on those spots. Many times my guiding partner and I would be working a reef together and we would point our boats at them and give them the old hairy eye ball look until they left... seemed to work most of the time... crazy.gif

Last week I was fishing the North Arm. I am trolling a point and plan to move over to a hump but a boat is already there. I wait another 30 minutes but they still haven't left (catching them no doubt). I head for the next hump north where nobody is fishing.

The other boat sees me and starts heading for the same hump. I anchor up wind of the shallow spot and start feeding out anchor rope and casting. Here comes Mr. Rude and his two customers (I am guessing it was a guide but maybe not). They proceed to putt putt around right where I am casting then toss out a mark exactly where I am casting!

I try to keep off to the side of the shallow spots and cast up to them. Driving yout boat over a 8 foot humps hardly helps. These were the typical vertical jigging live bait guys. They continue to circle their marker ignoring my very close casts. I should of pinged a few off their big motor.

Got disgusted and left after one Pike on a Munchie Worm. Went to the next hump north and got one bite but is was a 27" walleye so wasn't quite so ticked off.

I think its great that people are bringing this topic up. I cannot believe the bad boating manners that I observe not only on this lake but on others in walleye country. It has gotten to the point that sometimes I will walk a fish around the boat to the other side where no one can see what I have put in the net so that I won't get crowded off by some other inconsiderate fisherman. When I come in to the gas dock or Can Ops I will cover up or de-rig my rods so that people won't know what I have been using. As far as the bridge goes its dangerous and I agree some one is going to get killed before something is done. It seems that there is a lot of people who either don't know or have ZERO boating experience that charge through the bridge. Someone on a earlier post a while back said something to the effect " did you come all the way up here to be in a hurry"

I know I didn't