Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Clamhead

Spring fishing

4 posts in this topic

Im planning a trip for my wife and I next spring/early summer. I was wondering if some of you veterans could give me some advice on what would typically be the optimal time for Cass. Ive never fished it and would love to hit for a good trip. Also your opinions on a good place to lodge. i appreciate it, thanks guys.

Clam,

I would say your best advice is to check with Brian from First Choice Guide Service. He can punch it up and tell you when the best time would be. He has been fishing Cass for 16 years and guiding for 6 years. I would say you should book him for a day or a half day, you can also split your day and do half in the morning and half at night. That might be the ticket. I can tell you that he will put you on fish and show you how to fish Cass Lake. If you mention to him that Windy sent you, he will give you a 10% discount off his already low prices. He is a very nice young family man who really knows the lake. He also has his dad who fishes the lake and can take people out to guide. Give him a call and tell him I sent you. You won't be disappointed.

Windy

Recent years have been excellant through Mid June. Every spring is a little different depending on water depth, flow in and out of the feed lakes and water temperature.

This year we had a great trip the week after opener. Fish were everywhere and were cooperating with a jig and minnow presentation. I would suggest getting there sometime in May if you can, if not early June.

Good Luck.

Clamhead,

What species are you most likely after? Panfish, bass, walleye, or my favorite muskie? Different species are more active at different times of the year! Like Windy said, give Brian a call, he is a multi-species guide who is really in-tune with what is happening on the Cass Lake chain. Just my two cents, I go up to Cass in September after school is back in session. All species are more receptive during this period, IMO. Good luck!

Todd