• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Best Bass lake around Park Rapids

This is my first post to the boards. I really like the topics and the useful info!

My family and I are heading up tomorrow morning to the area, and I had a question. We have fished Belle Taine for the last 2 years with some success, but I'm wondering what you would consider the best Bass lake in the area to be?

We usually fish in early June so the deep water topics have been helpful.

Thanks.

Bill

Welcome aboard, I would suggest north Portage by walker, it is a catch and release only lake with tons of smallies and big largemouth. closer to Nevis the first lake that comes to mind is Spider it is just north of town. then maybe try 5th and 6th crow wing. if you have time stop by northern bait in Park Rapids and we can discuss some other options. Jonah

Thanks Jonah.

We plan to stop in Park Rapids on the way through. We'll find the store.

Bill

Bill,

Are you looking for numbers, trophies or both? Most of the lakes have one or the other, but there are a few exceptions. Also, what's your preferred fishing method? Strengths?

Hey Jason, I will be up there next week and would love some bass lake info as well. I am staying on Belle Taine, but have had mixed results on that lake. I would love to find a lake with some nice pads or reeds where I could fish shallow (maybe even topwater) and have the opportunity for some 20"+ fish. Any ideas would be appreciated. Any ideas for smallies would be welcome as well. Thanks.

Jason we are also heading up to Park Rapids this weekend. We stay at my wife relatives cabin in the woods north of Park Rapids. The brother in-law and I usually fish walleyes but every year when we go up there it's just a catch and release bass weekend. I know we fished two inlets wit some luck last year. If we wanted number where should we go? If we wanted the big ones where should we go? Both? No matter the size we will be releasing them all. Thanks for the info. Anyone else feel free to chime in.

I'm also heading up that way tomorrow. Which Portage lake were you refering to? There's one just north of Walker along 371 and there's another that's further north and a little east that is just off of Hwy 2.

Thanks.

I took a look at the satellite image of Spider on Google Maps. It looks like a pretty interesting lake. Would you let me know where the public access is?

Thanks again.

Spider is a pretty decent bass lake overall, but it can be pretty inconsistent. The water is ultra clear. Belle Taine is actually a very good bass lake for numbers and average size. Lots of smallies. 20-30 fish in a morning is quite feasible, but you're probably not going to get a 5 pounder. 3.5 is more common for big fish for the day out there, but there are a lot of 2- 2.5 pound fish both smallmouth and largemouth.

Lake George is another good one, we've had 80 bass days out there. You can get a 5-pound fish out there, and many are 15 inches on avg.

I can give you some other ideas as well, just stop in at any Park Rapids area baitshop when you come up and grab one of my cards. You're free to call anytime and I'll be an open book for you.

I fished George this past weekend and we got 3 largies over 4 and probably 30-40 fish for the day. Its a plain lake but the two times I have been there it has produced a lot of bass with plenty of fish around 20inches.

I have fished Lake George with Jason and absolutely had a blast. Just remember though...INSIST ON SALMO!!!!

Spirit Lake has good number of bass, and some great pads to fish. If you stand the traffic.

Wazz

alot of the smaller lake produce large numbers of bass to. They get over looked some of the time. Here are a few photo's of a couple different trips. Only fished for approx an hour each time. fishing2007003.jpgfishing2007001.jpg

Leechman-

Did you get to catch any of those or just your son? Because I know he's a very talented up and coming angler and I bet he hooked a bunch! Nice fish and leechman's right, we have a lot of great lakes around. You could pick a different lake for bass each day and do well on every trip. Throw a rock in any direction and you're going to land in some good water.

Yes your right Jason,, He hooked his share and more. Fishing has been pretty good as of late. He hooked a 28 inch wally the night before last. Having lots of fun on the water this year.

try Skunk Lake , no p-a,have to go through resort, catch and release only, should catch at least a couple of 5-6 lbs comon.

Jason, thanks for the tip on Spider Lake. I spent last Thursday morning up there and landed 8 or 9 really nice bass. Best one was a five pounder with a bunch of 2's and 3's. Caught everything shallow under laydowns or under pads.

Spent the remainder of my fishing time on Eagle Lake. Also landed a nice 5 pound bass as well as others.

Sorry I didn't make it to the baitshop to say "Hi" but did enjoy the classic car show on Main Street Saturday morning.

I'll be up again next July/August.

Thanks,

Unfrozen