• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

I.E. doesn't work on laptop on home network

LwnmwnMan2

Question

I can no longer access the internet through my laptop on my network at home.

My email works, I can access all of my programs that are on the 'server', I can even access websites that are listed in my ID Vault, but if I type an address in the bar, nothing comes up.

It just waits, the green status bar is VERY slow, and then about 1/2 way through, just gives that the web page is not available.

Everything works fine on the desktop that's set up as the server, as well as I've already reset the router, but to no avail.

Any help??

20 answers to this question

Is this Linksys? Try typing 192.168.1.1 in the address field in your IE browser. Does this let you into the router?

I've got a Belkin router...

One thing I haven't done yet, is hook the laptop directly to the phone line, eliminating the router.....

Gotta do that

Hooked it hard-wired into the system, still the same thing.

Cannot get into the router, either the wireless or DSL from the laptop.

I can get into both from the desktop when it's wired, obviously since I don't have a wireless card for that.

I've already gone into I.E. and clicked the restore button, to supposedly set it back to default.

It's basically like the browser doesn't work at all anymore.

I've got ad-aware SE and have been able to download the current update, now I'm running all the scans.

Go to start, run, key in cmd press enter, then key in ipconfig /all, it will give your IP address, your subnet mask and your gateway(your router) your DNS servers(name to IP resolution). Key in ping <your gateway address> and press enter if you receive replies from your gateway, then try to ping one of the DNS servers if you can reach them you should be fine. If that doesn't work then key in ipconfig /release, when the completes key in ipconfig /renew, this will refresh you IP info from your router, you can also key in ipconfig /flushdns, this will clear all the cached address to IP info on your PC. If all that works key in ping yahoo.com that will tell you if your PC can get to something off your network strictly on a networking level, if all that works IE is hosed. You can try to go to Internet options and clear all the temporary internet files, history and cookies just be sure you are getting all new info for site addresses.

Here's the deal though.

I can still access my email.

I can still access my files on my network.

I can still access the sites that I have set up in IDVault.

IDVault goes to your financial sites, logs in for you. But I can ONLY access their secure financial sites, not the sites that I have set up on my IDVault to save the passwords.

It's almost like IDVault's software is blocking out my I.E.

BUT, I'll try the other "pings" in the meantime.

Quote:

Go to start, run, key in cmd press enter, then key in ipconfig /all, it will give your IP address, your subnet mask and your gateway(your router) your DNS servers(name to IP resolution). Key in ping <your gateway address> and press enter if you receive replies from your gateway, then try to ping one of the DNS servers if you can reach them you should be fine. If that doesn't work then key in ipconfig /release, when the completes key in ipconfig /renew, this will refresh you IP info from your router, you can also key in ipconfig /flushdns, this will clear all the cached address to IP info on your PC. If all that works key in ping yahoo.com that will tell you if your PC can get to something off your network strictly on a networking level, if all that works IE is hosed. You can try to go to Internet options and clear all the temporary internet files, history and cookies just be sure you are getting all new info for site addresses.

I did all the pings, even yahoo, and packets were both sent and received.

Also, I did the ipconfig stuff, no difference.

Guess I.E. is hosed on the laptop....

how do I fix that???

What if you try a different browser?

Here is a link to FireFox .

Might be worth a try anyway.

What version of IE are you running? You may be able to upgrade to IE 7 or use FireFox or Opera, both are pretty good web browsers, I am using Firefox right now.

If you can't get Internet access on the PC or laptop you may need to download the install files for FireFox or Opera and burn them to a CD or someone could zip them up and email them to you. If you post your email I could/would send you the setup files for FireFox and or Opera.

I.E. 7.

Obviously I have access to the internet, or I couldn't respond this way.

I'll download them tonight when I get back from mowing and try installing on the laptop.

The biggest issue right now is that the 2 year old can't play Noggin or PBSKids.... shocked.gifgrin.gif

Are you running Windows XP? My daughter had a similar problem a while ago, I did a system restore and it worked great. Its worth a try.....

I ended up downloading IE7 from Microsoft on the desktop, burned it to a CD, then installed it onto the laptop.

I'm now typing this from the laptop, so we're good to go.

What I don't understand, is how I could still access my bank accounts through IDVault, but I couldn't access any other websites, whether the ones I have set up in IDVault for password protection, or even FM here???

I'd even erased all of the IDVault program stuff, thinking that was blocking me out, but to no avail.

Anyways, it's working now, the 2 and 5 year old can play their games online now.

A little side note about the 2 year old on the computer.

He was at the mom-in-laws house, on the computer, and the mom-in-law was in the kitchen. She realized she didn't hear the music from the website, so she went in to see what he was doing.

He was just staring at the screen..."ooo ooo ooo".

She looked at the screen and it's full of naked women!! shocked.gif

Anyways, no one knows how he got on that. At least it was at the mom-in-law's house. Lord knows if it would have been on either of the computers at my house, I would have been condemmed IMMEDIATELY, even though there would have been no reason to....

Quote:

What I don't understand, is how I could still access my bank accounts through IDVault, but I couldn't access any other websites, whether the ones I have set up in IDVault for password protection, or even FM here???

It may be that you were only able to access https sites. Since you mentioned that the sites you were able to access needed logins, then they may have also used https for their url.

Could be that the security on IE got jacked up so hi that you could only access sites that you entered in to trusted sites or as already mentioned https sites only.

yep sounds like a security issue.

If you keep having problems, I would highly recommend FireFox instead of IE.

I went through and checked all the securities that I know of, to double check, but they all seemed normal.

Yes, if things happen again, I'll try using FireFox again.

I was running it once in the past, but didn't really care for it, so I went back to I.E.

It's a comfort thing. You get used to one thing, it's hard to change.

I tried IE 7 and that really bites. I went back to IE 6 at work and FireFox at home, for the tabbed browsing.

I have a semi older laptop, and IE7 brought everything to a cccrraawwlll. I like the tabbed browsing, so I ditched IE. But, yeah I totally understand the comfort thing.

Quote:

I have a semi older laptop, and IE7 brought everything to a cccrraawwlll. I like the tabbed browsing, so I ditched IE. But, yeah I totally understand the comfort thing.

I had Vista with all the goodies on my laptop, it took 13 minutes to boot !!!! Talking about a HOG OS shocked.gif , went back to XPPro and now I have a boot in 45 seconds.

Ken, I know what you are talking about, but try to get back to FireFox, download the latest and start using it, very few sites don't work properly with it but it's an upgrade from I Exploder any version.

Be careful with the kids' game sites. When my kids get on the computer and go to their cartoon game sites, it always means a night or two for me of retweaking. Cartoon network seems to be the worst with mine.