Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
captshorelunch

Ok evening on the lake

3 posts in this topic

Launched out of Knife River Marina at around 4 pm and quit by 830. Two smaller lakers and something that snapped my line but i could feel the head shake but never saw it. Kids are happy

What type and test line were you using? Mono? Did the broken end come up curled, like a pigtail (i.e. a bad knot)? I am always PO'd when I lose a fish due to a bad knot. Or did the line part on a rock/frayed section of line? The reason I ask is:

Last fall I was surf casting Lake Michigan (on the Michigan side) and brought in a 14# (weighed) male king salmon. He had a rusted treble hook embedded in his jaw, the wound healed over. The hook was from a J-Plug, with the 2-color braided snell and 2 trebles knotted in. There was about 14" of fluorescent green mono of about 30-40# test above the hook. I can imagine the dude, out trolling on the big lake hooking, fighting, and then breaking off on a fish that obviously had to be over 20#, maybe even a 30+!! 'Cuz that was 30# line! Uh, dude, that fish came in at 14#. The line was knicked or frayed and it parted. He probably didn't have his drag set properly, either.

So I'm just messin' wit' ya, wondering what some of our "big hits" really are.

Here's one on me: first time I fished with a braided superline with zero stretch, on a high-modulus rod with near-zero flex, trolling a deep diving crankbait. The fish hit, I took 3 or 4 really nice throbs, and then the fish left me with a graphite rod modified into more pieces than it had when I started fishing that day. To this day, I know that fish was at least a 30 pounder! 'Cuz it was 30 pound line!

I wonder how many of us have similar, really cool stories to share?

Or maybe it was a 150 pound sturgeon!!

That's what I love about fishin' !!

Good thing it snapped off you might have said something like. "I think we need a bigger boat".