Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Simon M.

West End Walleye Action?

11 posts in this topic

Anyone have any tips for Vermillion West end walleye action?

Most likely going to be heading out of the head of the lakes bay area north of cook.

Looking for depths, tackle, and structure suggestions. Don't need your GPS coordinates just some sunken island names, reef names etc with depths.

Thanks guys and gals!

Ok, by the huge amount of replies i have been getting i am assuming i am commiting some sort of faux pas?

Just moved here from Maryland (once lived in Duluth) and moved back to MN last thursday.

Trying to get some tips before i head out and I used to use this site all the time exchanging fishing tips.

If anyone out there has anything that would be of value i would appreciate the input.

Cheers.

Don't fish the west end,but I can tell you the east end bite has been good on edge of reefs 15'-20' with lindys using leeches or crawlers

Thanks for the info Birch PT Mike. How long of lindy's are you using? I have heard some guys have great action on shorter ones 3-4 ft and some say they are only getting action on longer snells

lack of replies is cuz of lack of walleye. may I suggest musky or bass? Walleye may be eating baby cisco that apparently had a very good year class last fall. At least that is one theory. Maybe open water trolling, leadcore or something, would work. (hasn't for me)

Start with6' snell and shorten if needed. I rarely go less than 4' Good luck

Thanks for the info.

-Drive Home Happy-

Snap jigger,

You may want to incorporate your handle to coincide with a presentation for fishing walleyes.

Being the stubborn capricorn, scandinavian, I am, I waited till the end of the trip to try this method. (with success)

welcome to the west end. recently have been working crawlers & leeches short snell...friend & I fished early & late last weekend...got some nice keepers, several over the slot.

Thanks for all the tips guys. I ran into Cliff from the guide service out on the water and he was friendly as ever and didn't mind that i asked him a few questions. I would have booked him but he was solid. We did very well on the east end. drifting pulling long lines or lindy's. We also did okay pulling cranks during the day. The bite was hard to gauge simply because sometimes an eye bite turned out to be a crayfish. Also, crawlers worked the best. We also noticed that changing your presentation after a few drifts over a bar or reef actually enticed a bite where you might not have gotton one. Simply switching from a lindy set up to a plain jig head and bouncing a little harder and faster picked up a fish or two extra and then you switched back once that wasn't producing. All in all we did fair-to-good.

Heading up to Wake em up bay tonight. Anyone care to update what patterns a hot right now for the Walleyes? Not looking for the secret spots just whether deep or reef tops etc.