Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
wippersnpr

burntside smallies

2 posts in this topic

do the smallmouth get any larger than 10-11 inches in this lake? I've fished mainly around the western shore of burntside near tamarack creek and I catch alot of 8-11 inch smallies. Just wondering if guys have had days where they've caught larger bass in burntside. It seams like there is so much good shoreline and habitat for this species. Are they just that spread out or are there types of habitat that I should be concentrating on? If anyone can give me some help in this area It would be much apreciated. I still have yet to catch a walleye on burntside and hope to purchase some dipsey divers, rods, and rod holders so I can fish for trout in the summer on this lake. untill then I will concentrate on trying to figure out how to catch some decent smallies.

Caught at least 6 in the 20+ range, and many others over 15 inches the last few weeks. Keep in mind that the lake is saturated with smelt and the rules that apply to other lakes can be thrown out the window.

Fish the reefs by trolling a chartruese and green 1/8th oz jig with a green double twister tail. Anywhere from 10 to 30 FOW.

Have caught them as large as 22 inches over the years.

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Ray Berg
      Just wondering why no more fishing reports/updates from lake of the woods tourism on this site? They still put one on LSF every week or so. On a side note was up to the lake last weekend for some maintenance to the cabin went for a walk down graceton beach toward zipple. Lots of debris on shore from melting ice. Picked up what we could, lots left.
    • Wakemup
      I echo Spearing Machine's comment- Ludlows is a top notch resort. Terrific staff, nice accommodations, and provides a great experience for any staying. Our cabin isn't too far from there and we have family members who stay there often when we run out of space at the cabin and I have stayed there myself as well.
    • TNtoMN_HuntFish
      Thanks man, I am really looking forward to deer season now that I'm going to bow hunt.  I have his duck duck goose book and its great. I commonly pluck ducks and geese so i can use that delicious fat.    In that book he had a recipe for duck wing soup and I changed it slightly and made a giant pot of soup with the turkey legs and thighs. It was delicious! 
    • TNtoMN_HuntFish
      54 degrees saturday in lakes NE of metro. 
    • TNtoMN_HuntFish
      Well this was fun! I fished a NE metro lake Saturday morning. Found tons of crappies in 4 to 5 feet of water. Water temps around 54 degrees. They were getting demolished by pike in the shallows, what a spectacular show they put on!    Couldn't find a crappie bigger than 8 inches so none were kept then this pike came along. It took about 7 minutes to fight with such light tackle and I thought for sure I'd lose it. I'm a kayak angler so this got really exciting! If the jig didnt set right at the corner of it's mouth of course the line would cut immediately but this still took a lot of careful fighting.    Can't wait for the season to start in a few weeks!!