Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
wippersnpr

burntside smallies

2 posts in this topic

do the smallmouth get any larger than 10-11 inches in this lake? I've fished mainly around the western shore of burntside near tamarack creek and I catch alot of 8-11 inch smallies. Just wondering if guys have had days where they've caught larger bass in burntside. It seams like there is so much good shoreline and habitat for this species. Are they just that spread out or are there types of habitat that I should be concentrating on? If anyone can give me some help in this area It would be much apreciated. I still have yet to catch a walleye on burntside and hope to purchase some dipsey divers, rods, and rod holders so I can fish for trout in the summer on this lake. untill then I will concentrate on trying to figure out how to catch some decent smallies.

Caught at least 6 in the 20+ range, and many others over 15 inches the last few weeks. Keep in mind that the lake is saturated with smelt and the rules that apply to other lakes can be thrown out the window.

Fish the reefs by trolling a chartruese and green 1/8th oz jig with a green double twister tail. Anywhere from 10 to 30 FOW.

Have caught them as large as 22 inches over the years.