Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ray Mysterio

Pilsbury State Forest

10 posts in this topic

Just curious if anyone has spent any time bowhunting in Pilsbury? I have driven through there many times and now that my parents will be living close by, I will start doing some scouting.

I am an experienced bowhunter - just not to the Pilsbury State Forest. Any general information is appreciated.

Thanks,

Mysterio

Wear orange.

Lots of small game hunter huh.

Lots of small game hunters, but also quite a bit of recreation use. I hunt rifles here every year, but have only bow hunted late season. Then its very quiet.

Sorry so abrupt with the last post.

Yes, there are LOTS of small game hunters there. At least until they reduce the woods to a ghostly silence. Then, they'll be gone. Ever been to Nemaji? That's what's coming.

Sometimes, for the safety of bowhunters (yes, I bow hunt) I wish they'd ban the use of rifles for small game and only allow shotgun. (no, I'm not a gun-ban type of guy either) I had a .17 whizzzzz by my tree in Pillsbury a few years ago.

I'm done there.

Thanks for the info guys. Small game hunters always worry me when I am hunting public land sitting in a tree in full camo.

Mysterio

I live right next to it and bow hunt it all year. If you are willing to go deep you will be fine. There is about 2000+ acres to play in you just need to do some home work. By the way I would stay clear during rifle season.

Thanks for the info realtower. When hunting public property, I pack light and take long walks so that shouldn't be a problem. I won't be hunting it at all during rifle season. Maybe after. How is the deer ratio there? Bucks to does?

Mysterio

Some times it feels like 100 to 1 does to bucks. But thats MN. The bucks are there but they have been dealing with people along time so (HUNT THICK) thats my tip.

You mention Nemaji,I lived outside Duquette and hunted nemaj often UNTILL THE 4 WHEELERS!!! Last time up there I was out of Gavert camp ground,I was Archery a buddie was grousin,Just after sunrise there they were right by me 4 wheelers,I thought I was out of the camp ground far enough!! Got back to camp ground and there must have been 20 4 weeler trailors double trailors quad trailors.That was my last time out hunting there!! been back and checkin it out.Wont go back again!! crazy.giffrown.gif