• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Anyone ever hunt raccoons?

catmanclark

I've wondered for a about 2 years if anyone hunted raccoons, and if so, would you be able to give me a few tips, or ideas?

You bet,many ways to hunt'm.

Most think only with dogs but calling and dumpster control provide good fun.

Grilled a few, good eats unless ya get a dumpster diver.

I think the most fun I have ever had, has been hunting coons. I have followed the baying of quite a few hounds to a tree. My suggestion would be to try to find someone who has hounds, to take you along. I'ts a blast. That being said, I have shot a lot of them walking around the edges of cornfields at night. You don't want to be real quiet, because the noise you make will scare them up trees. If you walk without a light, and look for blobs in the trees you will be suprised at how many coon you can find. If you have a dog that can be off a leash, take it with you. Just having a dog along, will up your odds. When you see a dark blob shine it with a flashlight. This really only works, after the leaves fall off. If you don't know any farmers, don't worry. I have never had a farmer not want coon shot out of their fields. You just have to ask.

By far, the most fun I ever had hunting was raccoon hunting.

I agree, a good dog is a must. Be aware that you dog could get in a bit scuffle though.

Go out in the very early morning and you can find them in trees in their large nests. They usually "sleep" with their head slightly exposed (but can be hard to find). Shoot them with a .22 in the head and they will roll out. I have shot several this way and have not had one stay in the nest yet...and they are dead instantly.

Tenpoint,

You may want to check your hunting regulations. Having a dog along will not just up your odds, it is required. See page 45 of the 2007 MN hunting regulations. " Artificial lights may be used to locate, attempt to locate, or shoot a racoon only if hunting with dogs."

I went coon hunting down south with coon dogs once, would love to do it again. Running through the woods in the darkness chasing a howling hound, good fun.

Something about a coon dogs goofy bark or whatever that sound is when it has put a few coons in the tree is something I have never heard before and never heard since.

Can't help with the coonhounds anymore, that is a younger mans sport. But if you'd like to hear some hounds push snowshoe hare you are welcome to tag along. That is a blast as well, and you get to do it in the daylight.

First kind of hunting I ever did. We hunted over Walker'. It really got me hooked on hunting with dogs. I haven't done it in years but have many fond memories. Seems like few do it anymore but those who do are diehards. Hound guys seem to really know dogs.

Hey Walleye, your correct about the law. I have not done it for years anyway. That's not an excuse for breaking the law though. I guessing a bunch of farm kids, with a field full of coon damage probally wouldn't have cared anyway. grin.gif