Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
storminspank

Just got back from Babbitt, MN - Birch Lake

4 posts in this topic

I just got back from Birch Lake up near Babbitt, MN (just south of Ely). We were up there for a week or so... just AWFUL fishing. Absolutely nothing was biting (except the black flies and mosquitos). I did manage I NICE smallie the first night during the twilight hours. Two weekends ago, I dropped my dig. camera in the water for the third time since I've had it, so my wife would not let me take the new Sony H9 that I bought for us out on the lake. I was about 250 yards from the houseboat we were renting on my little 12 ft boat when I caught it. My crappy old 9.9 engine just puked, so I had to troll back to the houseboat to get a picture, which took me about, oh, 4 minutes or so. I got the pics and then spent about 2 or 3 more minutes getting the smallie revived again... good news, though, he was released successfully, so that made me happy.

Below are some pics...

BirchSmallie2.jpg

BirchSmallie1.jpg

BirchSmallie3.jpg

I was on birch a few years ago for a few days...the family managed one perch for all the hard fishing we did.

so you're not alone for having bad luck on that lake.

In light of your experience there I'd extend the invitation to drive another hour to Rainy Lake next time you head north. My oldest brother from FL and I were out last Tuesday from 7-11 am and caught around 20 smallies from 12-18.5" + a few pike (mostly on topwater!) and this was our first time ever in this area of the American side of Rainy. Within a 40 minute drive north of here in Ontario there are numerous lakes where the average smallie is 16" or better. WxGuy can you imagine those on a fly rod???

The Ft. Frances Canadian bass championship just finished Saturday with a 15 bass total for 3 days weighing in at over 58 lbs. and taking first prize at 50G.

I would LOVE to go up there to chase smallies on the fly! There are quite a few from 'round here who go up there just for that.

Having caught a few around here in the 16-18" range lately, I know that I'd have to upgrade some equipment to catch that size of fish regularly. cool.gif

Good to see you back here, pete! I hope the nort is treating you well.