Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
panski master

BWCA moose lake

5 posts in this topic

I'm going to the b dub Aug 29th at moose lake to ensign lake. Can anyone tell me how long the portages are to get there, how are the campsites, and how's the fishing. KK

the ports are short, the campsites are many thou most will be taken as a popular spot and the fishing is spotty. head to the east end of ensign for better fishing in my book- esp for smallies.

Done this trip twice in the last two years. Very easy portage from Moose to Splash and then a very short drag from Splash to Ensign. Nice quick trip with good fishing. You taking a tow up to Splash? Going in on a wednesday you should be fine for campsites as long as you claim one early. Let me know if you want some additional info and I can email it to ya.

Granny

I've been to Insula/Alice many times and have had a lot of fun. This year we are taking the ladies with and decided on the tow to make it easier for them. There are 6 of us going and I'm the only who has been in the b-dub before. It will be a good experience for all. Granny if you have any secret hot spots on Ensign shoot me a email.....kkowalczyk@frontiernet.net.....Or what campsites on Ensign would be best for camping and fishing from. I looked at a map of Ensign and there is some good structure for fishing. I just hope the fishing is good when we are there. We are going up on weds and going in on thursday. According to the permit web site there were alot of permits still available for that area so I don't think finding a campsite will be hard. Keith

I'll send ya some info with some better detail on campsites, baits, and spots where we did pretty good. I forgot that is coming up to Labor Day weekend.....campsites may be harder to come by. We usually make it to camp by 7:30am so sites are usually open. Who are you getting a tow from? If its Vosburgh's (sp?) - Custom Cabins they are good people and you should be able to get a nice early start. This will be a good trip for first timers.

Granny