Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jonnyICE-MAN

TRAILER LIGHT PROBLEM

10 posts in this topic

I just re-wired my brothers boat trailer and have a problem with the right light. If I turn on the running lights they both work but the right side is dim, the blinker works the brake light works but if I have more than one on it won't work, for example if the running lights are on and I hit the brakes the right side will go out completly. Everything works on the left side but the right side don't and it's always dimmer than the left.

One thing that I noticed is on the left side the running lights illuminate one fillament and the stop and turn signal operate the other, and on the right side everything operates off of one fillament so if I have the running lights on and turn the blinker on or hit the brakes it will cancel itself out. confused.gifPlease help we want to go fishing legally, any infomation will be greatfully appreciated and thanks in advance.

By the way it's all brand new wireing and lights.

You have a poor ground on that light, recheck it and if you have to run a redundant (second) ground from that pigtail socket to the frame. If you have an ohmmeter check the resistance from the socket to the trailer frame, it should be .00something.

Quote:

One thing that I noticed is on the left side the running lights illuminate one fillament and the stop and turn signal operate the other, and on the right side everything operates off of one fillament so if I have the running lights on and turn the blinker on or hit the brakes it will cancel itself out.

Does the right side bulb have 2 fillaments or just one? If just one, you'll need to get the right bulb in there.

Nice catch Hayward!

Both bulbs have to have two fillaments. More than likely the two fillament bulb is an 1157 and the single is an 1156. Two really common trailer bulbs.

If you take the single filament bulb out and peak into the socket there should be two contacts in the bottom of the socket. An 1157 (or the correct dual filament bulb for you application) will also have to contacts on the bottom of it. an 1156 (or a single filament) bulb will only have one contact on the bottom

I tried that it's a brand new kit both bulbs have two fillaments. I even tried a different light from a different kit and had the same problem. mad.gif

Is the light mounted directly to the trailer, or is it mounted to a bracket that bolts to the trailer? If so, make sure where the bracket mounts to the trailer frame it has a good clean connection and make sure that the surface where the light bolts to the bracket is clean too. In order to work properly, every light is dependant on a good ground.

Airjer, remember you can't easily fit a single element bulb into a socket made for two elements. The slots for the pins are offset on a two element and even on a single, that also keeps you from having your bulb in backwards. Remember, I said easily, you can force it to fit.

My money is on the ground.

Quote:

Airjer, remember you can't easily fit a single element bulb into a socket made for two elements.

You would be surprised to see what people can fit into things!! blush.gif I just had one last week. I think it was a geo prism. Taillight worked but was dim brake light would not. The customer had just installed a new bulb and the brake light still didn't work.

Quote:

I tried that it's a brand new kit both bulbs have two fillaments. I even tried a different light from a different kit and had the same problem.

I guess I misunderstood you. I thought you meant there was only one filament. You definetly have a ground issue. The running lights work because it is likely using the brake cuircuit as the ground. Once the brake pedal or turn signal is introduced to the trailer there is no longer a ground and the lights stop working.

Yup you guys hit it on the nose it was a ground issue, and the light was mounted to a bracket that is bolted to the frame, (it was'nt grounding through the bracket) a jumper wire fixed the problem, thanks much guy's smile.gif

Great, glad you got it fixed!