Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Doonbuggy

Need to find a place to have trailer wiring redone

8 posts in this topic

Buddy of mine blew out his trailer tire and subsequently his trailer light kit so he needs to have it redone.

Any shop in the metro that can have this done quickly for him? Thanks in advance.

DB

I do not know how fast they can do it, but I have had work done at Crystal Welding in Maple Grove. I had a custom receiver hitch made for my fifth wheel and a 4 wire flat ran to the back tieing in with the 7 wire. They do lots of different kinds of trailer work including wiring. I do not know their #, but they have a website.

If your buddy is some what mechanically/electrically inclined you can get an entire kit with lights and wires. Not that hard to do yourself, unless you have to chase the wires thru a tube trailer frame. A little more tricky then.

I'm not mechanical but did wiring myself. It is a pain, but you save a lot of money. If you don't wanna do it yourself another place to look at is Roseville Auto. I've had good luck on my cars and boat there.

I re-wired my old boat trailer from front to back in approx 2 hours. The only thing that gets a little time consuming is running the wires through the frame. Thats the time for wiring, putting on new signal boxes and everything else. Not a bad job.

I read something before about running through tubing. They said to tie some mono line (I think we all might have some of that around) and use a shop vac to move the mono through the line. Then you can just pull the wire through.

That vaccuum works great for conduant if you tie some cotton to it. Cut the old wire then tape new wire to it. Then pull the old wire out. The new wire will follow. Or fish tape also works!

If the run isn't too long or too many bends any kind of sorta stiff wire works OK for fishing.

In the frame certainly is cleaner and more protected, but tie straps and routing on the inside of the frame rails works fine too. Mostly, it just isn't as pretty.

AR Welding in Ham Lake does that type of work. Does great work. And if you are putting new lights on I would go LED lights. No more bulbs to worry about. I put some on and have not had a problem with them and they are bright.