Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
The Freak

MUSKIE FISHING INTHE AREA

13 posts in this topic

Going to be in the Brainerd area doing some Muskie fishing this coming sunday-tuesday. I've fished Mille Lacs a few times for Muskie, but thats the only lake in the area that I have fished for them. I'm looking for other names of lakes in the area that hold a fishable Muskie population. Places to go if its to windy to be on Mille Lacs and still have a good chance at moving some fish.

Thanks in advance.

Lake Alexander would be a good bet...

Quote:

Lake Alexander would be a good bet...

Ooooophfff!!!

I love Lake Alexander and all...

But these days that lake is a real dead sea... Something is going on there this year... I don't know if it's a more aggressive milfoil spraying project, or what... But since Mid June on, it's been the toughest bite for all species other than Rock Bass, that I've seen on that lake...

I've given up on it for this season.

If it wasn't for my free time being consumed by a new promotion and planning my wedding I'd be out on Mille Lacs, and look elsewhere (Like Gull) for Walleye if the winds were uncooperative.

Cedar Lake is the closest to Mille Lacs. It's over by Aitkin on County Road 28 (the cedar lake road).

There's also a bunch of lakes about an hour north of Brainerd in the Longville area. Wabedo, Inguadona, Little Boy, Baby, Mann, etc.

THANKS FOR THE INFO GUYS!!!! laugh.gif

the most overlooked fishery in the state of minnesota... the Mississippi River

I'VE ALWAYS WANTED TO FISH THE RIVER. HOW LOW IS IT WITH THE LACK OF RAIN THAT WE HAVE BEEN HAVING? I HAVE A 17 FT LUND PRO-V, WOULD I BE OK WITH THAT OR WOULD IT BE BETTER TO FISH IT WITH A LARGER JON BOAT?

Hey Dances with Waves,

can I email you something??

thanks,

mr

If you go to the river take the jon boat. Very unpredictible. Unless of course you are above the dam then you will be ok with your lund. Good Luck!

In the areas where the muskies are densest you will have a lot of trouble fishing with a 17 ft pro v. A big jon boat would work great. There's lots of shallow water and things to hit so don't run fast, and bring a good set of oars to push around with. The muskies are really biting right now through Brainerd. I heard a couple guys got four in one day with one over fifty inches and one close to fifty inches.

Good luck.

Where is this dam located? Is there decent fishing above the dam?

The muskie fishing is below the dam in Brainerd. Above the dam is Rice Lake, and lots of other deeper water. The fishing is excellent above the dam, but it is not the best place to target muskies.

youre better off wading than taking your boat. The water has officially hit drought stage as it did last summer. At some points you can wade across the whole thing. As for the fishing above the dam is a no-no. youd be dodging jet skies. i usually dont fisd muskies, im a smallie guy( lately its been unbeleivable) but theres some good muskie action. the dam is right on the edge of town on the northeast side. There is a landing a little south of it. but ya 17' is pushin it.

Meat run go ahead

granley@peoplepc.com