Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
skunked_again

Fall Red River fishing

8 posts in this topic

Hello all. I am interested in making a run up to the Red at Lockport/ Selkirk in mid-October for some waterfowl hunting, as well as fishing. I have a few questions; any help is much appreciated...

First, how is the fishing this time of year? Catfish? Walleye? Second, what are some general tactics/depth/ bait/areas, and would you recommend a guide? What and where should I concentrate my efforts on for fishing? Is finding a field to hunt in an issue?

Any advice or guide recommendations would be appreciated...also if there is some old posts maybe I can look at those.

Take care and thanks!!!!

Fall fishing up in Lockport can be phenomenal both for cats as well as big Greenies(walleyes)! Contact Stu McKay and he can get you lined up with everything you need! You should see a post of his in here...he goes by Catmendo

Yes, Stu is the best of the best up there. I'd suggest two things- get him to guide and stay at his place. He's a good guy and nobody knows the river up there like him. His place is Cats On The Red- google it and you'll get to his homepage. That'll be a good time to be up there. As far as geese- there's about a gazillion of 'em up there then. As far as access, guides, etc. I can't help you. Stu will get you pointed in the right direction though.

By mid-October the cats are done, Skunked... but that's PRIME greenback and bird time. Another guide of Stu's has a huge area at Oak hammock for ducks and geese... 10lb. walleyes or limits of birds is a tough decision, though tongue.gif !!!

100_0810.jpg

IMGP0657.jpg

You bet, Stu's guide staff can hook you up with the trip needed. They have the skills and the land to hunt and or fish. Great guys too!

does anyone have contact info for Stu??

Thanks scoot!! I think I am going to give it a try this fall or winter!