• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Garden

gundy89

Need some ideas, I'm kinda at a loss right now. I have a 2 year old lab and a vegetable garden. The garden has waist high wicker fence around it. I cannot keep her away from my pepper and tomato plants. She's jumping the fence and plucking the tomatos and peppers right of off the plants. Until now, she left the plant alone. Now she has pulled one up and eaten it. So now, after all the stupid work in the garden, I'll get no peppers or tomatos. I still have beens, peas, and vines left. I was hoping that someone would have an idea of keeping her out. I'm going to have to invest in a electric fence, but would love a short term solution. Thanks guys.

Either a taller fence or the e-fence.

I had to put up a 4' fence around ours....

make a small garden for the dog and plant cherry tomatoes.

i had the same problem and that solved it.

I have a garden and I tell them to stay the he!! out!!! And then I enforce it, when I'm tilling and planting their boundary is the edge of the black dirt, when I'm weeding or picking beans, even if I toss them a few beans, their boundary is the edge of the black dirt. Then you need to keep a watch out the window and enforce it. Idealy you'll catch them in the act but even if you find a half eaten tomatoe, make a big deal out of it, march over to the garden and make a production out of it, let them know that they're not supposed to be in the garden.

My dogs only get a couple hours of freetime a day, if your dog is locked up in your back yard with the garden, then its probablys a boredom factor.

Last resort, put up an electric fence. Dogs don't like electricity!

I think the answer is the same if the dog started opening cupboards and eating food in the kitchen. What about if the dog starts eating the garbage?

You teach them no and enforce it. If you can't let the dog out alone than you need to monitor the dog until you can trust him. No means no.

If you don't want to babysit the dog, then buy another section of 4ft fencing and attach it to the top of the existing fence.