Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
PokieGuy1331

Pokegama fishing

8 posts in this topic

Spending next weekend chasing eyes. Any reports? I fish mornings exclusively,,,, What's the water temp?

Pokie, I had 68 deg. this morning at 6:30, and yesterday at noon it was 74.

I was there the last couple days before vac, and the walleyes were there but tough to get we were jigging did get a couple I think to drag a crawler through the 19 20 ft of water would be the key

Jason

I was out for 4 hours on Saturday morning with my father in-law and uncle. We were trying to put together a fish fry. We worked 1/16 oz jigs and 2" twisters from 5 - 17 feet and put over 100 fish in the boat including bluegills, crappies, large and smallmouth bass, perch, walleyes, and of course some rock bass. We just worked the shorelines and focused on shallow flats adjacent to deep water. We had a blast. Lots of smaller fish but the occasional 2-3 lbers mixed in made for a ball. Especially on 4lb test and ultra lights. The key was to cover lots of water.

Trolling on friday night yielded nothing.

If you want to understand lake Pokegama better, and catch some walleye.... I highly reccomend Pokegama Guide Service. I had been fishing the lake scine the ice went out had no luck at all catching any walleyes.

I finnaly hired Dan @ Pokegama Guide Service. wasn't on the first spot 2 minutes and landed a nice 26 1/2" walleye.

Dan Knows this lake, He actually fishes the lake probably a whole lot more then any Guide in the area.

I am writing this as a satisfied customer and to anyone that just needs a little bit more help catching those Pokeg Eyes.

I agree. While that did sound a little like a plug wink.gif they do a great job and know the lake very very well. My uncle was struggling on the lake and hired them for a day to find some spots. Now he can usually find a few fish every time he goes out.

Yet another satisfied customer chiming in. Dan helped my brother and me out quite a bit and although not setting the world on fire, we are putting some consistent eyes in the boat. I've been thinking about hiring Dan again to go chase the smallies specifically as I have grown pretty fond of the tussle that they put up.

You can't go wrong by hiring him.

I'll jump in too with a recommendation to hire Dan. I have been out with him twice in the last year and learned more in those 2 outings than I did fishing the lake on my own in 5 years. My walleye and smallmouth bass success is many times what it was thanks to Dan.

In terms of fishing, whether due to understanding the lake better or some other factor, this summer has been the best fishing of my life. I have had consistent success for walleyes and smallies during the day on spots that I learned from Dan. During the night, the walleye fishing has been incredible. Last Thursday I took my father and nephew out and we boated 16 walleye between 15-19" and lost three at the boat side. Friday night I took my nephew again and we caught 12 of similar size and he caught a 19 1/2 smallie whish was a great surpise.

All the walleyes came from 6-9 fow from about 10p-2a on large husky jerks. Gold and the chartreuse with the red head were the best colors. Speed was about 1.8 and a cast and two pulls of line (which I also learned from Dan). Frequent turns and fast pulls of the rod to accelerate the lure and then letting it pause frequently produced strikes.

Speed trolling for 5-12lb northerns over deep water is also in full speed. I like the largest Rapala Tail Dancers with lots and lots of line out. Look for the HUGE clouds of smelt over the deep basins and start trolling through and around them. Speeds of 3-6mph with lots of variation is key. A 12lb northern at 5mph is quite the collision.

Good luck!