Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Big Jeff

North Center Sunfish, 5yr olds first time out in boat

5 posts in this topic

I have a chance to take my 5 yr old nephew out fishing in the boat for the first time, I figuer I have an hour at best to keep him interested with some bobber action, but I have not fished North Center in a year or two. I am very familiar with the lake and have fished it in the past but not resentally. Looking for any advice on where the little man can keep busy? I am thinking just worms but if something is working better please let me know. Thanks in advance for the help.

I would try the shallow weeds near deeper water. You might find some crappies too. The lake is full of small crappies along with the sunfish.

Fishing with the youngsters is fun, I hope you guys get into some fish.

I took my girlfriend out for the first time the other day as she has been bugging me to take her forever now. I showed her how to cast and I don't even think the hook got to the bottom and she had a fish. Listening to her ask why her bobber was going under was funny. I didn't even get a chance to fish because I had to take her fish off every 2 seconds. Then the dog jumped in the water and got tangled in the fishing line. I gave up lol. Can't wait till I get a little guy/girl to fish with.

I don't know if you've been out yet, but I've always had luck for panfish around the big island in 4-7 fow. There is also an area northeast of the big island with some emergent weeds (the DNR map shows it as a small island) that I've caught panfish around. A small chunk of a worm will work fast. I took the kids there about 3 weeks ago and small leeches worked really well too. You can also use artificial baits like jig and curly tails or beetle spins and sometimes catch the bigger fish, but if you are fishing with a 5 YO use live bait because they will catch fish so much faster. Good luck and have fun!

Thanks for all the pointers, the little man had a good time!

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Cliff Wagenbach
      I have been using chubs and pike suckers all week with good results. 14 feet to 34 feet. Cliff
    • eyeguy 54
      100 yards south of access is 2 hour parking. no student there. no cars at all. 
    • smalljaw
      Went out yesterday in between honey dos.  First sunny day in several days.  Hooked up on a good sized bunch of brown fish in 5 FOW.  They were enjoying warmer water, 55F, on a chunk rock spot. Caught the females first with the largest around 4 lbs then a few smaller males came to the boat.  All caught on plastics.  Went back out late after the last chore to catch an eye for supper.  No luck on eyes but the pike enjoyed a few minnows.
    • Walleyeslayer25
      Good luck out there.  I'll try to make some time to stop over. 
    • Neutz68
      Oh sure.... I remember ya..    Birchwood is a nice place too..  I am sure we will be seeing ya this weekend. We will be sitting on the docks during the afternoon so if you see us out swing on over. I have a green Lund Rebel with a 50 Merc...   
    • Tom Sawyer
      The reason I asked @eyeguy 54 is during the day that ramp parking lot at Cathedral is always full of student parking. Can't understand how they get away with it. During the week prior to Governor's Opener we never had any issues during the weekdays, but now on school days, we just launch at Wilson Park. BTW, did you find any walleye on the down current sides of the sandbars in that stretch?
    • Walleyeslayer25
      We use to go there until a few years ago. Now we are right next store. I couldn't figured out how to get into my old account so I had to make a new one. My old screen name was deershooter.  
    • Neutz68
      Yep that's us... Cabin #2 and #3...  You part of the other group we chat with up there??    
    • Walleyeslayer25
      Thanks for the reply.  Have had much time for research this year. Do you usually stay at pine tree cove? 
    • Rick
      People who enjoy the North Shore and Lake Superior and want to help shape its future are encouraged to consider volunteering to serve on the Governor’s Council on Minnesota’s Lake Superior Coastal Program.  This is a citizen advisory group that sets grant funding priorities, reviews grant applications and recommends projects to receive funding through the Coastal Program. All funded projects benefit Minnesota’s coastal area. The 15-member council is made up of three representatives each for Carlton, Cook, Lake and St Louis counties and three at-large positions that can be filled statewide. There are ten available seats on the council. The council meets about five times per year at various North Shore locations. Council members receive travel reimbursement and serve 60 to 70 hours per year while fulfilling a two or three year term. All adult Minnesotans are eligible to serve. Anyone interested can apply online at the Minnesota Secretary of State website or download a paper application. For more information about the Coastal Program’s work and service area, see the program webpage. Questions about the Coastal Program and application process can be directed to Amber Westerbur, Coastal Program manager, at 218-834-1445 or amber.westerbur@state.mn.us. Discuss below - to view set the hook here.