Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Big Jeff

North Center Sunfish, 5yr olds first time out in boat

5 posts in this topic

I have a chance to take my 5 yr old nephew out fishing in the boat for the first time, I figuer I have an hour at best to keep him interested with some bobber action, but I have not fished North Center in a year or two. I am very familiar with the lake and have fished it in the past but not resentally. Looking for any advice on where the little man can keep busy? I am thinking just worms but if something is working better please let me know. Thanks in advance for the help.

I would try the shallow weeds near deeper water. You might find some crappies too. The lake is full of small crappies along with the sunfish.

Fishing with the youngsters is fun, I hope you guys get into some fish.

I took my girlfriend out for the first time the other day as she has been bugging me to take her forever now. I showed her how to cast and I don't even think the hook got to the bottom and she had a fish. Listening to her ask why her bobber was going under was funny. I didn't even get a chance to fish because I had to take her fish off every 2 seconds. Then the dog jumped in the water and got tangled in the fishing line. I gave up lol. Can't wait till I get a little guy/girl to fish with.

I don't know if you've been out yet, but I've always had luck for panfish around the big island in 4-7 fow. There is also an area northeast of the big island with some emergent weeds (the DNR map shows it as a small island) that I've caught panfish around. A small chunk of a worm will work fast. I took the kids there about 3 weeks ago and small leeches worked really well too. You can also use artificial baits like jig and curly tails or beetle spins and sometimes catch the bigger fish, but if you are fishing with a 5 YO use live bait because they will catch fish so much faster. Good luck and have fun!

Thanks for all the pointers, the little man had a good time!