Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Chuckster

Anyone Fishing Lately?

8 posts in this topic

Is there anyone fishing the area still? I know that I dont like that mid afternoon heat as much as the next person, thats why I have mostly been fishing at night lately.

I've been catching greyling up the wazoo, tough to beat that plus sunny and highs in the 50's.

Ahhh man that's just wrong grin.gif I went out last night on Tulaby and caught a huge rock bass, HA HA. That was it. It pretty much sucked. But there are small lakes in the area that are hitting VERY well. Unfortunately they don't have landings. Ya gotta drag your boat to them. But they all are the same, basically small in size 100 acres or less, shallow (max of about 15 feet) and weedy. I won't give any names but those are the types of lakes that the waldo's are biting on now around my area.

I have mostly been chasing panfish with the kids. The sunnies and crappies are still very, very cooperative. Some dandies to boot. Last friday my two year old reeled in a solid 10 inch sunny and then a few minutes later a 12 inch crappie... I think I was more excited then him. Big Floyd Lake is a great lake for the kids....IMO

yeah, the pannies and bass are pounding. I caught a decent eater walleye in the river last night, but not one pike. I think the warmer water's got them slowed down. beetle spins were hitting pannies, and topwater cranks were just nailing the bass. Not much fish taking my flies lately, and with the tall grass near shore casting is getting to be a bugger...

Hey Zach -

Ahh Grayling - the Sunfish of the North. Those things bailed me out of some lousy salmon fishing a few times smile.gif Any Dolly Varden up where you're at? Loved those things...

I've been on a bass kick this year, partly because muskie fishing's been sort of poopy. Smallie fishing's been good, and the largemouths are still in the rushes and under the docks, so can flip and pitch for them, which is a hoot. Been fishing crappies and sunfish with the kids too. Crappies are starting to pile up suspended outside the weedbeds, so real easy to troll a tube jig through them and get bit. Fun time of year to fish.

What's interesting is I'm catching a lot of walleyes shallow still, either on suspending jerkbaits fishing smallies, or on jigworms fishing largemouths up in the cabbage. Usually sort of tail off on them about the end of june, then start picking them up again in late August - but I'm still catching them right now. Bet if a guy pulled bouncers along some of the weedlines, you'd do pretty well...

Cheers,

Rob Kimm

I'd even give grayling the edge in a fight with a sunny. They do put up a similar fight but the grayling have a size advantage and the fact that they're shaped like a torpedo gives them the edge.

We went out again last night and bared the cold weather for some good fishing, temps were in the upper 30's and a brisk wind got the hands pretty cold, reminded me of ice fishing.

Here's Gary with a nice one, we're fishing a small creek that comes from a deep gravel pit which is where these fish hang out. Notice the AK pipeline in the background.

greyling001.jpg

Mine isn't quite as colorful but it makes up for it in length.

greyling002.jpg

Great pics

Send some of the cheap oil from the pipeline in the picture our way. Bush's friends continue to rip us off!