• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

HOW HAS THE FISHING BEEN???

How has the fishing been?? I am coming with my wife and 3 little kids next week. I still do not know how I talked my wife into a house boat trip! Going out of Northernair. Any tips would be great. Should we have leaches - minnows and crawlers?? And what is the best way to get some smallies?? We don't keep any of these and only will keep a few slot walleyes for a shore lunch. Thanks, paulie

Slow for me last couple trips. Mayflies appear to have peaked out and saw few of those on Thursday. Caught some pike trolling cranks along likely looking shorelines with steep drops. No decent bass and only one big walleye. Best action right near sunset.

I did hear that some guys had decent action fishing on Friday with live bait. They got a couple dozen walleyes with several eaters and a few big ones. Don't know details.

Fishing has been really good. I haven't fished on the American side in the last few days so maybe RainyDaze, F&F, Uffda, or Fishmeister can give you some more up-to-date informaation.

I have been experiencing walleyes in 20-30 foot of water, both on the reefs and the shorelines. A jig and a minnow has been producing fish for me, as has a lindy rig and a leech. Run your electronics to find fish. I haven't been fishing any areas that I have graphed less than 6 fish in a concentrated area.

Take Care and Good Luck Fishing!

Good Morning Paulie 8pointer,

As CaptJohn has referred to the fish are loaded up with maylies right now, and we are at the tail end of the long hatch. Our groups have been having the best success by fishing different depths trying to avoid the full fish. TL makes some good points once again reiterating the Electronics. My assumption will be your heading out to the east end, and should focus on the numerous mid lake humps. I personally like to use crawlers this time of year, but everyone has there personal favorite. We're entering arguably the best fishing time of year Rainy has to offer right now as the fish are reaching there summer destinations. When the walleyes body realizes the lack of nutrients in the mayflys they will be in a feeding frenzy. Mark my word. Good Fishing Paulie8! Have a great trip!

RD

Went bankers' hours yesterday. Every hump loaded with bait fish. Lot of pike on top of humps down to 20 feet. Only three big walleyes 20-25". All on lures. Mayflies almost done.

Hey CaptJohn,

We're you out of Bowmans landing yesterday? Think I might have drove past you. We slipped out for a couple hours of fishing last evening. Picked up some eaters, but nothing to brag about. Fish did seem to be a little more hungry. This should be the start of a fantastic summer bite. It has been such a great year already. I'd like to reiterate the importance of some common courtesy on the water. Rainy is a BIG BIG lake, and one of the many great things about this body of water is the elbow room you can have while fishing. There is no reason to get on top of other boats. I'm fully aware that nobody owns the lake. This didn't happen to me on this particular occassion, but was talking to a gentleman yesterday who had 7 boats fish right on top of him, and not only that but they were also very rude. This is when I typically like to wildly cast giant spoons. Try give some respect to other fisherman, and respect there privacy. Better yet think outside the box (Maybe fish are also biting somewhere else too?) Reminds me of my ole days of fishing the mississippi river where you can walk across boats. I know that is the norm there, but not here. Lets try keep it that way huh? The one thing in particular clients mention to me when out on the lake is that they love the fact that they can be on a hot bite, and have the communitty isn't on top of them. I agree! Good Fishing Guys!

RD

Rainy2007-07-09.jpg

I did launch out of Bohmans yesterday around 8:30. We only fished the North Arm so not sure where you saw me. Never saw another boat on any of the spots we fished. Every hump we fished was loaded with bait fish. Got about 40 pike (no hogs) 3 walleyes (20-25") and two dink bass.

My buddy Dave and I had a great day until we got back to ramp. Another boat beat us in by two seconds. While we were waiting at the dock for them to leave (other side was busy), a truck with a pontoon boat pulls into lot. Boat in front of us leaves so we tie up to dock. I go to get my trailer and the pontoon proceeds to park his boat in the way of the ramp! I told him I needed him to move so I could pull my rig out. He launches anyway with my boat still at the dock! Now he cannot get past me and I cannot get out. Guess he expected my buddy to move our boat even though we were tied up at the dock BEFORE he launched. He ended up banging his pontoon boat into my boat trying to manauever his boat around mine. And I nudged his boat while I tried to get my rig on the trailer.

Unpleasantries were exchanged on both sides. What is really stupid about the whole thing is we both could have gotten in and out faster if he had just waited until I was on my trailer. It takes me about 30 seconds to get on the trailer and pull out.

I usually avoid fishing the Minnesota side to avoid the crowds on the reefs. Now I even get into it at the boat landing! I like those big spoons for crowd control too but so do the fish.

HEY GUYS,

REMEMBER WERE USE TO HAVING LESS PRESSURE ON RAINY, HOWEVER MANY FOLKS COMING HERE ARE USE TO PLACES WHERE YOU CAN WALK ACCROSS THE BOATS, SO THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS HAVING COMMON SENSE. THOSE FOLKS ARE THE ONES YOU HOPE FORGOT TO PUT THEIR PLUGS IN & REALIZE IT A HOUR LATER.

IF I'M FISHING A REEF & ITS SMALL, A TOURIST PULLS UP ON TOP OF ME OR MY MARKER. I WILL GO UP WIND, THROW A ANCHOR & DRIFT BACK WITH A 130 FOOT OF ROPE. IF THEY STILL DECIDE TO FISH THERE, I THEN COLLECT THEIR JIGS OR LINDYS AS THEY TROLL OVER MY ANCHOR ROPE. AS THEY FINALLY MAY GET FRUSTRATED & LEAVE, I MAKE SURE TO THANK THEM FOR THEIR LURES & YELL "HERES YOUR SIGN"!!! AND THAT FOLKS...IS THE RAINY LAKE RED NECK COMING OUT IN ME!!!

SINCERELY,

FISHMEISTER

Paulie,

I have never had better fishing on Rainy Lake for this time of year as I did last weekend. My dad and I caught many walleyes on structure in anywhere from 25ft-62ft of water. That's right 62ft of water on the bottom! That is the deepest I have ever caught a walleye anywhere. The mayfly hatch was in full effect but the fish were still biting. I used a jig and a minnow and my dad used both leeches and crawlers on a Lindy rig and had about the same luck. If you want to pick up a few smaller fish, try the jig and minnow for better numbers. I caugth 5 eyes over 20 inches on 7/7 with the biggest being 24.5". Phenomenal fishing.

Good luck in your search for the fish.

Thanks a million guys - the reports are a great help for somebody who has never fished on this lake before. The help and tips are just awesome. I leave on Sunday and can't wait. Bill I will be in to see you for my bait on Monday morning. I still haven't decided if I will go through the hassle of minnows yet. Anyways thanks again for all your guys help.

Paulie