Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
shamrock7

Fire Danger again

8 posts in this topic

As most already know, the area is drying down again and its time to be vigilant. I will paste in the link to the DNR site again so that those that are new here can keep an eye on area fire danger. http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/forestry/fire/index.html

We had a fire on Friday on Ely Island and the Cook Departement and the DNR are on a fire by Pearsons as I type. If you drive by the Pike River above the Hatchery, there is no water coming over the dam and only a little coming thru the spillway. Burning permits are still being issued and campfires are still ok. But if you see smoke from 8 am until 6:00 PM, its probably not suppose to be there so don't be afraid to call it in to 911. And if you don't want to go that route, you can always call me and we will check it out.

Fire...Ely Island... yikes!

That's where my place is... whereabouts on the island was the fire?

Fire was on the south side of the island to the south/west of the major point before seven sisters. It appeared to be an excaped campfire.

Is there any further information on the fire near pearsons. I have a cabin near there. Thanks

Sorry. Can't help as far as where the fire was by Pearsons

Shamrock,

Any updates on fire danger? What is allowed and not?

Thanks

Andy

No restrictions yet and probably won't see any for a while. They usually let it get really dry before they start placing restrictions this time of year because with everything green, fire does not carry very well until it gets really, really dry. Use the link on the first post to get to the dnr site to stay up to date on current conditions.

Well its time to move this one back up again. Just received a call from the DNR in Tower and they shut down burning permits effective immediatly. Campfires for cooking or warming purposes are still allowed but people are asked to hold off with them until after 6:00 pm. Fire danger is Very High currently and without measurable rain may go to extreme shortly. I looked this morning and water is down over a foot from the high mark we set earlier this year. If you see or smell smoke don't hesitate to call 911 and report it. Especially if it is during the day. We would rather get paged out right away and get it taken care of, instead of waiting until it is a significant fire.