Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bob P.

thistlekicker ------ Big Fish Trap Rapids?

2 posts in this topic

thistlekicker,

Last year you were talking about "running" Big Fish Trap Rapids. Was wondering if you did? If so, how did that go? Did you fish that area much? Seems as though it would be great smallie water. What other areas above or below Danbury have you been on? Thanks for any info.

C.P.R.

Bob P.

I didn't do that stretch through Big Fishtrap. We ended up paddling the lower Namekagon from County K down to Riverside on the St Croix. Which is a nice mellow trip except for a couple decent rapids between the confluence of the Namekagon & St Croix. Didn't fish very hard but got a few smallmouth, nothing very big. Saw lots of large "rough" fish (suckers/redhorse, sturgeon, catfish) and a few big muskies just sitting motionless on the bottom.

Last weekend we paddled the St Croix from Thayer's to HW70. Water levels were very low and it was kind of a scapey trip.

I think the upper St Croix above the confluence with the Namekagon is considered a springtime run because it gets too low in the summer.

hope that helps - the Namekagon/St Croix is a great paddling resource and I'll definitely be back, hopefully when water levels are a bit higher.