Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
outdoor ran

Lead core reel?

6 posts in this topic

I'm thinking about buying a reel for a full core set up to run on LK Mich. I know I have nothing thats big enough to handle that. What are some of the reels that will handle a full core? Thinking it won't need a line counter. Anyone know where they sell big old used reels? Thanks

I got one some place I will find it and you can have it smirk.gif. I will look for it and call you when I find it cool.gif.

I think a Diawa Sealine linecounter in the 47 size should do ok. I have 2 colors on mine with tons of room left.

Ran

Others may chirp in, but I believe for Lake Michigan, for full cores, I would go with the Penn 320 or 330 GTI. You can fit full cores on reels with less capacity, but these reels also give you enough room to get a full 300 yards of power pro backing on them as well.. We all know too well how fast a big chinook can scream line.. And more backing is always better...

Am sure Marine General has em in stock...

Agreed Jim, they are a spendy investment but well worth their weight in gold. Reports I have heard are the Dipseys, wire and lead are hot over there right now. I have a 330GTi and will likey purchase a second this week.

I use the Penn 330 also, you we need all the room for some braided line underneath, especially if you want to ever put in on a board line. My vote would also have you using a short stiffer rod than a longer more flexible one too.